ebinmaine

The "Colossus" project

8ntruck

Absolutely do the lead melting and casting outside.  Work on the upwind side of the pot of lead, too.

The lead will shrink as it solidifies.  If you just pour it in atube, there will probably be a depression at the top of the pour.  That is why sprues and resivours are used in sand casting.  This leaves somewhere to draw extra  molten material from as the casting solidifies.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

lead will shrink as it solidifies.  If you just pour it in atube, there will probably be a depression at the top of the pour.  That is why sprues and resivours are used in sand casting.  This leaves somewhere to draw extra  molten material from as the casting solidifies

That's neat info....

Pullstart

Stick welding does have a unique smell indeed.  Speaking of smells, toxic stuff, oooh squirrel! and all that, NEVER EVER use brake clean to prep metal for welding! Better yet, if you ever use brake clean around the house, make sure you always get NON-CHLORINATED brake clean.  That stuff will do bad damage in a quick hurry to your lungs and everything touching your lungs!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

953 nut
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I like the smell of welding?

I can do all the MIG welding I want and the wife wont ask what I've been doing.  Burn one 6011 rod and she will tell me how bad I smell.         :confusion-confused:       I guess "Aroma is in the nose on the Beholder"

• Haha 7

Lee1977
7 hours ago, Stormin said:

Many years ago in the UK, welders were entitled to a pint of milk a day, to wash the fume deposits down.

They must have been welding galvanized it will poison you, milk is an antidote for the poison.

• Like 2

Stormin
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

They must have been welding galvanized it will poison you, milk is an antidote for the poison.

I agree with the galvanised steel. Nasty, toxic fumes when burnt.  It should always been cleaned off before welding. But milk was given no matter what you were welding.

• Like 1

bc.gold

Metal fever, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

Exposure has also been reported in use of lead-free ammunition, by the harder steel core stripping metal from the jacket of the bullet and barrel of the rifle

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold
45 minutes ago, Stormin said:

I agree with the galvanised steel. Nasty, toxic fumes when burnt.  It should always been cleaned off before welding. But milk was given no matter what you were welding.

Drinking milk was something the employer concocted as a story to make you feel better, in reality it has no medicinal property's.

• Like 1

Stormin
7 hours ago, bcgold said:

Drinking milk was something the employer concocted as a story to make you feel better, in reality it has no medicinal property's.

True. But I think it was something the unions requested.

Cvans
8 hours ago, bcgold said:

There is no substitute for proper ventilation. Keep you and your helmet out of the smoke stream and if possible wear a mask. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Cvans said:

There is no substitute for proper ventilation. Keep you and your helmet out of the smoke stream and if possible wear a mask. 

I've read and been told multiple times that welding on galvanized steel is not an option without fresh air system.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I've read and been told multiple times that welding on galvanized steel is not an option without fresh air system.

It's kindly like welding on a gas tank,  it can be done.  Best option is just don't do it. 

• Like 4

bc.gold
13 hours ago, Cvans said:

I once worked for a wood preservative company, the first job they had me do was replacing the tracks inside one of the large pressure cylinders the held large cars full of lumber rolled into.

The tracks were worn and had to be cut out with new ones welded in place, chemical residues left a film on the inside which became air born with the welding fumes.

I got sicker than a dog that ate rat poison, foreman told me to drink milk.

Chromated copper arsenate (CCA) is a wood preservative containing compounds of chromium, ... arsenate; Copper(II) arsenate · Copper(I) cyanide · Cryolite · Diatomaceous earth · Lead hydrogen arsenate · Paris Green · Scheele's Green.

Edited by bcgold
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Cvans
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

It's kindly like welding on a gas tank,  it can be done.  Best option is just don't do it. 

Spoil sport. You trying to put the news services, emergency services, and funeral homes out of work??? :bitch:

Edited by Cvans
  • Haha 7

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Cvans said:

Spoil sport. You trying to put the news services, emergency services, and funeral homes out of work??? :bitch:

Well good afternoon everyone. In today's news from Idaho... the dull boom we heard this afternoon was explained as some fool in Hiram Maine trying to weld on something he shouldn't have been. More at 6 pm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Cvans
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Well good afternoon everyone. In today's news from Idaho... the dull boom we heard this afternoon was explained as some fool in Hiram Maine trying to weld on something he shouldn't have been. More at 6 pm.

I love it!!!!! :laughing-rolling: That probably explains the bright light in the sky here in South Dakota. 

Edited by Cvans
  • Haha 5

posifour11
3 hours ago, Cvans said:

I love it!!!!! :laughing-rolling: That probably explains the bright light in the sky here in South Dakota. 

Nah! That was the so-called UFO that people talk about the Pentagon putting out. 

• Haha 3

PeacemakerJack
16 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Well good afternoon everyone. In today's news from Idaho... the dull boom we heard this afternoon was explained as some fool in Hiram Maine trying to weld on something he shouldn't have been....

:confusion-confused::popcorn:

• Haha 2

Achto
18 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I have welded gas tanks many times but I have a strict process. After I empty and flush the gas tank. I have a piece of 1" hose that I stuff up the tail pipe of my car or truck, the other end goes inside the gas tank. I start the vehicle up and let it run for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes I leave the vehicle continue to run and push CO into the tank while I make my weld repair. The CO from the exhaust pushes all of the O2 out of the gas tank. No O2 = no boom. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine

Got the engine pulley yesterday.

IMG_20200502_090840450.jpg.586a71895e8c2e8119ed60ea2aea541e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Looks like something @PeacemakerJack fought with a while back...  good thing you know it’s got a split collar deal already!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cvans

How big is the shaft on your engine. That looks big. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Cvans said:

How big is the shaft on your engine. That looks big. 

Colossal.

1-7/16".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

PeacemakerJack
49 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Looks like something @PeacemakerJack fought with a while back...  good thing you know it’s got a split collar deal already!

Thanks Kevin for that reminder, now I have to go back to three months of therapy to forget😂😂😂

Colossus is going to be one massive and sweet machine when done.  I’m enjoying all this talk of lead filling and that monster front axle.  When I was regularly shooting in cowboy action, I cast a lot of my own bullets.  We would melt down any sources of lead that we could get our hands on.  It was neat to take the dross off the top, get it all purified to our liking, and then cast away.  In CAS, you must keep your bullets at slow speed-often near subsonic-so the softer leads don’t foul like they would in a high pressure/high speed load.  I like the idea that Wallfish had about using lead shot and filling the open axle.  That would be less messing around and would still give a lot of weight!!!  I know I haven’t said a lot Eric but I am really enjoying this build!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

three months of therapy

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

4 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

haven’t said a lot

No worries man!!

Good to hear from ya.

I know yer busy....

:happy-bouncygreen: