SylvanLakeWH

C-85...95...105...

SylvanLakeWH

More progress today...

New shoes!!!

Carlisle Turf Masters...

For the moment, not pursuing the dually option just for cost reasons...but after seeing the beefy Carlisle rears I am drifting back in that direction...gotta dig up that thread on dually spacer dimensions...

Still interested in thoughts on the clutch options... consensus seems to be drifting towards a standard clutch...

Some pics...

4D08D5B8-425C-4C85-AEA9-DBA3D65C55F0.jpeg

71362FAC-D378-4A2A-9CD2-82E5E1FB1A57.jpeg

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
On 9/8/2019 at 8:05 PM, SylvanLakeWH said:

Bit more progress and “thinking” today...

Steering Wheel off - yikes...

Shaker mount gone. May use for front hitch / winch plate idea...

1/4” steel plate from son’s winch was perfect fit for new mounting plate!!! Score!!!

Thinking...rat...

Also thinking centrifugal clutch, ala go kart, again courtesy of my son’s winch project (love that kid!)...Anyone ever done it for a cruiser? Pros cons just plain stupid  won’t work brilliant??? Input appreciated...

Dually decision still in thinking stages...

EA967127-2AD1-4E92-ACAD-B09101092BCB.jpeg

247A62FE-7035-4038-922D-F431E221E6A9.jpeg

3BAEB187-69BF-48EB-BC97-6C85ACCF3FD8.jpeg

5BD71012-27E6-4E21-A4D4-4601C7646F1D.jpeg

Isn't that a variable speed sheave like on a go kart where the higher RPMs cause the belt to ride higher up the shave and lower RPMs the belt goes down the sheave closer to the crank?

SylvanLakeWH

Yes.

That is why I am unsure it would work. Need input as I am not a gear head...:confusion-confused:

Trying to use up all the new parts and stuff from son's high speed wakeboard winch that he never finished. Frame went to wheel barrow trailer build, engine going to this build etc... This clutch is one of those items...if it can't /won't work oh well...but if it can and would function for a rat cruiser then hey why not...? If I can get the belt to mesh with the existing WH trans pulley I think it would work. My idea is to retrofit the clutch pulley to function as an idler pulley in a fixed location and let the centrifugal clutch do the rest via throttle control...set the gear I want and throttle up to go...

ebinmaine

Forgive my lack of knowledge here but I'm not quite understanding the issue with the transmission pulley. Is it that your belt is a little bit too wide to fit it? If so, just pick up another pulley? Or am I just missing something...

I have next to zero knowledge about go-kart stuff in general.

SylvanLakeWH

No ignorance on your part! I am trying to see if an automatic centrifugal clutch can work on these tractors. It would basically eliminate the manual clutch and simply rely on the throttle to engage the clutch.

Again, a sub-goal of this build is to use up stuff left over from my son's never finished high speed wakeboard winch. It is all new stuff and I am using it up wherever and however I can since you may imagine the market for high speed winches is, shall we say...limited!

Belt shape and size are an issue and I am just looking to the WH brain trust for guidance on whether it makes sense. The ignorance is on my part! But I have found that sometimes it is the "dumb" question that leads to the breakthroughs...!

I appreciate your questions and insights!

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

My only concern would be the shape of the drive pulley vs the shape of the driven pulley.  The fact that the belt gets tighter as you throttle up wouldn’t be an issue, if you keep the clutch/idler spring in place.  It would essentially take up slack as it pulls tighter.  I also wonder, what material belt would work best.  The Kevlar / coated belt that we normally use might slip too much, it seems the kart style belt would be best if you can find one long enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977

That type drive setup requires a matching shape spring loaded driven pulley. I have never seen one with one side vee the other side straight. I had an industrial one but both side were veeed ran a standard vee belt. Mine had 8 steel balls that ran in grooves to the outside edge that closed the drive pulley that opened the driven pulley. went from 1 to 3 then to 1 to 1. The way they were designed the the spring on the driven wound tight as the pulley open up the spring was loaded and locked to the HP  of the engine. We had them on mini bikes with 4 to 8 HP If they got away from you that spring on the driven had enough energy left to finish wiping you out. Closing the throttle did have any effect.  With that gearing plus the chain gearing from a jack shaft to the wheel they would do 45 MPH at 3600 RPM. I still have the mini bike it's been upgraded to a Hodaka Super Rat 5 speed. 

I think that straight side is going to be a big problem with a vee belt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

@ebinmaine here's a go kart "torq-a-verter" ... The belt rides at different heights in the sheaves as speed is increasing or decreasing there by changing the final drive ratio from low to high to in between just from the engine RPM.

Screenshot_2019-09-10-13-49-04.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine

That's pretty cool stuff. I never knew those things existed.

The way I'm understanding all this, I don't see why it won't work provided you can get a belt that is long enough.

I do agree that it should not be the regular Kevlar slipping belt.

Are we thinking foot throttle ?

SylvanLakeWH

Hand or foot. Not sure on steering wheel yet...may be something way off the steering "wheel" concept...throttle may be controlled via a hand lever or grip...stay tuned.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Just kind of throwing stuff out there right now but what about running the Variable Drive pulleys to an auxiliary shaft and then the standard Wheelhorse belt from a secondary pulley on that same shaft back to the transmission?

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Going through multiple options...including standard WH clutch design with no changes...

Your idea Is essentially the same as if I were to use both the clutch and torque converter as shown in picture above. This is what I basically have already...still mulling options...

Appreciate the continued interest and input! I am enjoying your Collosus build as well!

• Excellent 1

Howie

One has to use a belt designed to work in those. And yes   in some of them the one side is flat, have one on a mini bike here. 

Belts are designed around shaft centers as i recall.  You could have an idler pulley on a belt coming off the drive side of the 

rear driven pulley. On a mini bike or cart that would have a sprocket on it. 

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

OK, decision made on drive pulley...No go on the centrifugal clutch for this one. (I am keeping it as a future option for another build...). Going to try and position the shaft as close as possible to the original power plant so I can use the same belt size...We shall see.

No "progress" today except in the area of draining my wallet...Ordered from A to Z Tractors (Nice to deal with):

belt guard

right side foot plate

shift cover

steering wheel

seat

drive belt

Have also decided against too many crazy mods. Gonna just go with repower and fix up everything with no paint - kind of that "ridden hard, put away wet" look... Fiberglass repairs underneath the rear fender pan will be the plan, along with sheet metal reinforcements where needed. That fat rear end is growing on me...No dually for now either, thinking of using those extra tires for my next trailer build (stay tuned)...

Pics to follow when parts arrive and I figure out where they go...:D

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Stuff arrived from A to Z!!!

Thank you Lincoln!

So some more progress...

Seat fitment progressing...new seat went on my other C105, this one gets the beater seat...still working on hinge and mounting height...if wondering, purposely let the fiberglass epoxy drip etc... adds to the decor...:music-rockon:

Shift boot cover installed.

Right foot plate installed.

Only waiting on drive pulley and engine mounting / belt installation to follow...

Oh, also installed a marine primer bulb in my other C105 and man does it make a difference on cold start up...!

6CD5D5DC-6CFA-48C6-89B5-1E2BCF401479.jpeg

A07FC8BF-4E8E-4239-98EA-493092659777.jpeg

E5C07B31-DCC9-4ADE-9646-4E8DF9B1973B.jpeg

AEC07210-7360-440A-B12E-34012289167C.jpeg

8266E118-ACC6-4EBD-A163-3B1EE63810A9.jpeg

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Had some outstanding shop “help” tonight! My twin nephews cleaned us out of pizza and then worked it off in the shop (after the required :wh: trailer rides of course!). Price of cheap labor has gone through the roof!

As you can imagine, I got “a lot” done!!!  :ROTF:

FC12E159-4F35-446C-AE79-603D413FAAE8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

cleaned us out of pizza

WHOA WHOA 😮😮

• Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH

She lives!

Got engine mounted and lined up. Miracle of miracles- the belt is in line, tranny works in all gears for a foot or two, and nothing has blown up, fallen off or broken...!!!

:banana-dance:

Lots of fine tuning to go and then the finishing touches...hint: she is gonna be a “wrecker” of sorts, but with an appropriate :wh: flare...more to come!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Help...

Oil leaking badly from nos engine. Top end or valve cover or both...

Sat for 4 years in basement new with no oil. Never started. Added oil, started right up.

Maiden trip tonight and oil everywhere...

Any thoughts?

type slowly...please...not an engine guy...

• Sad 1

SylvanLakeWH

:confusion-confused:

I am at a loss... almost like it had no gaskets...it was my kid’s leftovers so no big loss...Can’t determine issue so I am going to plan b - HF Predator...

Pullstart

Jim, could you find a gasket set for the engine you have?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Is there a breather installed upside down or backwards?

Can you see exactly where the leak is coming from?

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

Jim, could you find a gasket set for the engine you have?

Good idea - I will check into that. 

From a time and cost standpoint though I am not sure it would warrant the effort...

1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Is there a breather installed upside down or backwards?

Can you see exactly where the leak is coming from?

Good point. I did look at that. Did not see anything noticeable. It was literally NOS on shelf in basement so it would have been manufactured that way... it is possible though... it is or appears to be coming from numerous points high up and flowing steady -  almost like it was built with no gaskets... 

I think I’m going to get a predator  for the build and then use this engine as a learning tool and tear it apart to see what I see...never done it before so... if I find issue and fix it I have a motor for the next build!

Thank you for the thoughts! I appreciate the ideas. Learning all kinds of new stuff on this build - mostly how much I don’t know!!!

• Like 1

Mikey the Monkey

forgive me if this was covered but, what size are those rear tires. they look awesome

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Carlisle Turf-master

23x9.5x12

• Thanks 1