Pullstart

Tire changer aha! Moment!

Pullstart

I’ve been loosing air in a front tire of my zero turn since about day 2.  I got tired of pumping it up a while back, fought to break down the tire and cram a way oversized tube in it, then I think I tore the tube.  I’ve been dreading the repair again because fighting small tires and wheels is the worst in my book!  I found this plate with a ho,e in it and bolted the wheel to the plate for very simple breakdown.

The dealer suggested I feel the inside of the tire to make sure there isn’t a thorn stuck in it before re-assembly.  Smart move, now I’m ready to pop it all together with the right sized tube!

C772D68F-781D-45C1-9CAB-4666B13A919D.jpeg

7041ABB8-9605-4626-BBF4-83F764BE4461.jpeg

0520A082-F491-4762-B291-34F6C062C34C.jpeg

883DFEA8-84BB-41D1-B815-F72D54AF8DBA.jpeg

2A7DE2FB-89E6-449C-BEF9-DB95569EAE18.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

857 horse
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I’ve been loosing air in a front tire of my zero turn since about day 2.  I got tired of pumping it up a while back, fought to break down the tire and cram a way oversized tube in it, then I think I tore the tube.  I’ve been dreading the repair again because fighting small tires and wheels is the worst in my book!  I found this plate with a ho,e in it and bolted the wheel to the plate for very simple breakdown.

The dealer suggested I feel the inside of the tire to make sure there isn’t a thorn stuck in it before re-assembly.  Smart move, now I’m ready to pop it all together with the right sized tube!

C772D68F-781D-45C1-9CAB-4666B13A919D.jpeg

7041ABB8-9605-4626-BBF4-83F764BE4461.jpeg

0520A082-F491-4762-B291-34F6C062C34C.jpeg

883DFEA8-84BB-41D1-B815-F72D54AF8DBA.jpeg

2A7DE2FB-89E6-449C-BEF9-DB95569EAE18.jpeg

MAN,,,,,,,USING THAT C CLAMP IS SOOOO SMART......GREAT IDEA...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 2

Pullstart
18 minutes ago, 857 horse said:

MAN,,,,,,,USING THAT C CLAMP IS SOOOO SMART......GREAT IDEA...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep it on the tire to keep the bead below the seat on the wheel... until I have to finish popping it apart. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Awesome idea Kev.

I read or saw on YouTube about somebody using a 3/4"  piece of thread rod and clamp that in a vice.

Goes right up through the wheel and holds everything steady.

• Like 2

953 nut

I have a piece of 3/4" threaded rod through a hole I drilled in my workbench that i can secure the rim to while changing a small 6" or 9" tire. I use the large Harbor Freight tire changer to break the bead first.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Lot of work for a small tire. Been there done that.

• Like 1

wallfish

If you do a bunch, this little changer is worth it so you can skip the the screwdriver tire spoons. It can clamp in a vise. Or maybe you can get just the tool and use the 3/4 rod

https://www.harborfreight.com/mini-tire-changer-61179.html?_br_psugg_q=tire+changer

Pullstart has a welder so you can get the larger one and rework the acme screw to accept smaller rims. The way it is set up, it will not fit through the bore of the front rims. Or just get both sizes as I have and then no worries about changing tires on your own. 

• Like 3

squonk
2 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Lot of work for a small tire. Been there done that.

It's worth it to me to spend the $15-20 to have the tire place do it. I 've got much better stuff to do than fight with tires.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

It's worth it to me to spend the $15-20 to have the tire place do it. I 've got much better stuff to do than fight with tires.

I'm not disagreeing with you by a long shot but just think of all the opportunities you're missing to burn vast amounts of calories while flailing expletives uncontrollably.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

JoeM

Had a buddy of mine so frustrated with those tires he just bought new ones! :confusion-shrug: I know there was at least three on the shelf in the garage!

EB we called those exercises Jane Fonda workouts.

• Haha 4

Pullstart
23 minutes ago, OILUJ52 said:

EB we called those exercises Jane Fonda workouts.

Really ouch!

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
On 8/28/2019 at 11:30 AM, ebinmaine said:

Awesome idea Kev.

I read or saw on YouTube about somebody using a 3/4"  piece of thread rod and clamp that in a vice.

Goes right up through the wheel and holds everything steady.

I did it this way for a long time, but bought the small harbor freight one and it works pretty good. I think it helps that I worked at the COOP in high school and changed tires there. 

Randy

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

The C-clamp is a good idea that I have been using for a while. Also a big help is to use actual tire spoons. Look at how chewed up those tire beads are on that tire and that is the reason it needs a tube in the first place.  I like to use up to three of the Harbor Freight 24" spoons on most of my tires. I also use a fish tool to get the valve stem through the rim. once the tube is inside the tire, you should put some air in the tube [probably about 1 PSI] or just enough to keep  the tube from getting pinched in the rim.

Breaking the bead has got to be the worst part on some of the tractors I have bought. The sidewalls on a lawn and garden tire are flexible and the bead breaker just slides off. I use penetrating oil on the worst ones that are actually rusted to the rims and also heat the bead area with a propane torch just to where the thing smokes a bit . When all else fails, I use a 4x4 cut to a 30 degree angle and place the point next to the rim and drive my truck up the ramp.

Rob R

Years ago I made tire breaker out of scrap steel..... best tool I have ever made and I use it all the time as well as my neighbors and anyone in a 10 mile radius 

Bead Breaker Homemade 001.jpg

Bead Breaker Homemade 004.jpg

Bead Breaker Homemade 005.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

CCW

Had trouble with an 8" tire that would not keep a sealed bead.  Fought to get it off to put a new tube in it.  Finally took it to Town Fair Tire.  New tire bought and installed for $19.00 plus tax.  Much easier than doing it myself.