Bean701

Crusty 312-A salvage

81blackhood
10 minutes ago, Bean701 said:

Also need recommendations for a new reasonably priced seat that won’t ruin the look of the tractor.  

I bought mine from Northern Tool.   They have a great selection.  Medium back and $53.  https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_7687_7687

A463CC98-5255-412A-85DC-63679A77F555.jpeg.7921fc5c8ed3956f563edf72d261fc21.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Bean701

I hate to be a bother fellas, but what is the correct PN for a Kohler air cleaner on a 312-a?  I’ve not been able to Get a straight answer

81blackhood

Look on part tree to find your air cleaner

Edited by 81blackhood

gwest_ca
On 8/29/2019 at 8:52 PM, Bean701 said:

Anyone know what model Kohler air cleaner this takes?  I got one way too big.

You can likely figure it out from this page. Click on the picture to see it

Garry

Adding

For some reason your spec 47829 does not list an air filter in the Kohler parts manual.

Spec 47828 used in the 8-speed models list the Kohler 235116 filter so may be the same for your's.

6" OD x 4-5/8" ID x 1-7/8" HT

Bean701
2 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

You can likely figure it out from this page. Click on the picture to see it

Garry

Adding

For some reason your spec 47829 does not list an air filter in the Kohler parts manual.

Spec 47828 used in the 8-speed models list the Kohler 235116 filter so may be the same for your's.

6" OD x 4-5/8" ID x 1-7/8" HT

That sounds about right.  I’ll go do some measuring.  I’ve been looking at the diagrams but get lost in the various models.

Shirk
On 8/27/2019 at 11:00 PM, Bean701 said:

Another issue is the engine is just RUNNING wide open from start to shut down.  No t sure why.  The throttle cable is connected and it’s moving the linkage.  But engine is full go all the time.  The tractor has a clickity-clack fuel pump on it so unsure if that’s related or what.

Did you ever get this problem corrected? I have this same tractor 86 312A. Mine was given to me from a buddy who couldn't figgure out why it would run. After a couple of very minor fixes it fired right up. However mine seemed to run at full throttle with no room for the governor to kick in as needed. I downloaded the Kohler service manual for the k301 engine. It has a page about adjusting the governor rod from where it comes out of the engine. Not the governor sensitivity adjustment but the rod off the governor where it attaches to the sensitivity adjustment arm. Mine must have been a hair loose and was out of adjustment. After adjusting per the specs in the Kohler manual the tractor runs like a dream. 

• Like 1

Shirk
On 8/27/2019 at 11:00 PM, Bean701 said:

Another issue is the engine is just RUNNING wide open from start to shut down.  No t sure why.  The throttle cable is connected and it’s moving the linkage.  But engine is full go all the time.  The tractor has a clickity-clack fuel pump on it so unsure if that’s related or what.

Did you ever get this problem corrected? I have this same tractor 86 312A. Mine was given to me from a buddy who couldn't figgure out why it would run. After a couple of very minor fixes it fired right up. However mine seemed to run at full throttle with no room for the governor to kick in as needed. I downloaded the Kohler service manual for the k301 engine. It has a page about adjusting the governor rod from where it comes out of the engine. Not the governor sensitivity adjustment but the rod off the governor where it attaches to the sensitivity adjustment arm. Mine must have been a hair loose and was out of adjustment. After adjusting per the specs in the Kohler manual the tractor runs like a dream. 

Bean701

I have not.  I am having issues with the muffler obscuring things.  But not having any luck with adjustment so far.

gwest_ca
17 minutes ago, Bean701 said:

I have not.  I am having issues with the muffler obscuring things.  But not having any luck with adjustment so far.

Have you tried adjusting the governor as explained in the service manual?

Garry

Shirk
30 minutes ago, Bean701 said:

Check the service manual. It's a simple adjustment. Simply loosen the screw that holds the governor arm on the governor rod that protrudes from the engine. I cant remember 100% off the top of my head if you hold the arm still and turn the rod all the way clockwise or counterclockwise then retighten. 

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, Shirk said:

Check the service manual. It's a simple adjustment. Simply loosen the screw that holds the governor arm on the governor rod that protrudes from the engine. I cant remember 100% off the top of my head if you hold the arm still and turn the rod all the way clockwise or counterclockwise then retighten. 

Both pieces go the same way...  wide open throttle and rotate the rod the same direction (top of the rod rotates outward) CW from the driver’s seat, CCW from the front of the engine. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Bean701

I’m starting to think the issue isn’t with the governor but with the throttle cable...  I’ll try to shoot a video of what I mean.

Pullstart

Well that would be simple... remove the cable and test for operation :offtopic:

Bean701

Temporarily wired up the LED par36 headlights. For some reason the factory wiring is inop.  I’m not getting any power at the switch.

88C89902-4993-4840-96BF-C4F48F71AFF6.jpeg

Edited by Bean701

Bean701

So I need info on part interchangeability.  I literally drug my poor old GT 1800 from a five foot pit my grampa had pushed it into thinking it was scrap iron.  I would like to run the bigger front wheels from it on my little 312.  Will this require an axle swap and if so, is it direct bolt in?  Next, I’d like to swap the big Eaton 1100 into this tractor.  If I do that, must I use the hydro deck lift?  Any advice would be great.  In the meantime we will be blasting the sheet metal in preparation for swapping into the rust-pitted 312...

42EC65D0-19A9-44A6-9D06-493B07F27AB5.jpeg

Bean701

Pulled the seat pan off the GT1800 and a friend is going to blast it.  We tried some pressure washing with some grit.  The paint on the GT tractors seems to hold up better than the red.

BC2D0E7A-F0AD-4F5E-B364-B4B4BD661ABA.jpeg