Bean701

Crusty 312-A salvage

Bean701

Got this tractor off a good friend who knew I had an interest.  Unsure of year, possibly an 86.  700 Eaton (bad news, but works), 12 horse Kohler (my first Kohler, good!) rotting paint, came with a small mowing deck and a snow blade.  

29C2BB66-038D-4FDE-85B8-3E754437CF8B.jpeg

Edited by Bean701
  • Like 4

Bean701

So this will be my “build” thread for this little tractor.  So far I’ve managed to install a way too small set of Amazon special Ag tires, install a new gas cap/gauge, new tail lights are here but not installed, and I ordered a way too big air filter.  

I previously had a 84 GT1800 Work Horse.  The motor failed and the tractor was junked.  However I found it mostly intact and am going to retrieve it for a parts tractor.

9C327F45-2A77-46FB-AEBA-67BD790F4408.jpeg

0E7D64FE-F39C-4323-84F6-870E6F3D40D7.jpeg

BC1D0CDC-160E-4428-8403-8A4C98FEFC78.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

ZXT

That thing isn't nearly as crusty as a lot of them out there! Looks like it'll be a good worker once you get the Eaton fixed/swapped out. 

What brand and size are those rears? They look pretty good.

• Like 1

Bean701

The tires are “Deestone” 23x8.5-12.  Apparently the Chicoms don’t have an accurate tape measure bc these are a far cry...

The 700 seems to function really well.  It’s very smooth compared to the 1100 on my old GT.  But when it fails I’ll have a swap hopefully.

• Like 1

Bean701

Anyone able to decode this engine tag and come up with a year?  

DC8409D5-BB78-46E5-AA12-D4D2BD6C01E0.jpeg

The Tuul Crib
20 minutes ago, Bean701 said:

Anyone able to decode this engine tag and come up with a year?  

DC8409D5-BB78-46E5-AA12-D4D2BD6C01E0.jpeg

I went with the Deestone 10.50s  and we're very pleased with the fit on my 414 eight . They did not have a lot of bulge on the outside of the rims .  Deestone  tends to run a little smaller which ended up being a nice fit. Nice looking tractor to  and I agree there's not a whole lot of rust on that one like some I've seen . Ill be watching.  :popcorn:

81blackhood

AA4F9D3A-E766-4282-BDE1-73C654BD6D0D.png.d1989fdc58c0d7dc3bbf310d43812c2e.pnglooks like 1985.  Nice tractor👍

• Excellent 2

ZXT
1 hour ago, Bean701 said:

The tires are “Deestone” 23x8.5-12.  Apparently the Chicoms don’t have an accurate tape measure bc these are a far cry...

The 700 seems to function really well.  It’s very smooth compared to the 1100 on my old GT.  But when it fails I’ll have a swap hopefully.

Whoops - I must've glossed over the "news but works" part of what you had in parenthesis. I only saw the "bad" part. Glad to hear that it is in working order!

Bean701

What is with the paint peeling off in sheets?  Was this a common issue?  

Bean701

Another issue is the engine is just RUNNING wide open from start to shut down.  No t sure why.  The throttle cable is connected and it’s moving the linkage.  But engine is full go all the time.  The tractor has a clickity-clack fuel pump on it so unsure if that’s related or what.

oliver2-44
10 hours ago, Bean701 said:

What is with the paint peeling off in sheets?  Was this a common issue?  

When they moved to the 300,400,500 series they changed the paint process and it fails in sheets like a powder coat does.

I restored a 312-8 gear drive for my son a few years ago. Sand blasted everything to bare metal and repainted.  It's a great stout tractor and is worth every bit of time I put into it.  

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

Could you post a video of start up including the carb linkages?  If you override the governor and manually control the carb butterfly does it settle down?  

Bean701
39 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

When they moved to the 300,400,500 series they changed the paint process and it fails in sheets like a powder coat does.

I restored a 312-8 gear drive for my son a few years ago. Sand blasted everything to bare metal and repainted.  It's a great stout tractor and is worth every bit of time I put into it.  

Thanks.  Looks like powder coat in my future.  Possibly will try a chemical stripper.  

Items needed to be addressed before winter-

New brake band

Need to go thru the dozer blade and clean it up

Need to find a handle for dozer blade to turn the direction and find a scraper edge.

Diagnose the carb and fueling, get the throttle working.

R&R headlights and taillights, figure out why they are t getting power.

Bean701
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

Could you post a video of start up including the carb linkages?  If you override the governor and manually control the carb butterfly does it settle down?  

Not sure how to override the governor.  I know zero about Kohlers.  I will work on a video.  I wish I could put a tach on this thing, it is revving to the moon.

Edited by Bean701

Pullstart

I’ll go take a video of what I mean...

Pullstart

@Bean701 here you go.  I guess I’m not the best at explaining what I mean,.. but hopefully you can use something from the video.  I’m wondering if your carb is held wide open by your governor linkage..

• Excellent 1

bds1984

I have those same 23-8.50R12s on my straight axle 520H and I like them a lot because they're smaller.  The tires are loaded and with the wheel weights it is a formidable machine for plowing and pulling because they bite and dig right in.

Bean701
10 hours ago, pullstart said:

@Bean701 here you go.  I guess I’m not the best at explaining what I mean,.. but hopefully you can use something from the video.  I’m wondering if your carb is held wide open by your governor linkage..

Fantastic video, thanks!  I’ll dig into it!

Bean701
5 hours ago, bds1984 said:

I have those same 23-8.50R12s on my straight axle 520H and I like them a lot because they're smaller.  The tires are loaded and with the wheel weights it is a formidable machine for plowing and pulling because they bite and dig right in.

That makes me feel better about the size.  I’ve been sort of down about it!  If they handle your big tractor they should handle mine.

• Like 1

Bean701
On 8/28/2019 at 10:32 AM, pullstart said:

Pullstart- you are right, it is absolutely being held open.  I took a video but I don’t think I can upload direct.  I’m working on it.

• Like 1

Pullstart
7 minutes ago, Bean701 said:

Pullstart- you are right, it is absolutely being held open.  I took a video but I don’t think I can upload direct.  I’m working on it.

Youtube is free to upload to, then share the link here 👍

Edited by pullstart
Auto correct

Bean701

May do that

Edited by Bean701

Bean701

Anyone know what model Kohler air cleaner this takes?  I got one way too big.

Bean701

Also need recommendations for a new reasonably priced seat that won’t ruin the look of the tractor.