Sign in to follow this  
Duff

Frame question......

Duff

Hi, folks,

As I dig into 312-8 #3 I've realized the frame has some very good points (welded reinforcement at the tranny mount and corners, less rust than #2, etc., and some, well, "issues." :drool:

At some point a PO ran into something and bent the left-hand front footrest/clutch pedal support pin back about 45 degrees. Not the end of the world since I could probably get it straightened by someone with a gas torch to heat it up. When I flipped the frame over I discovered that this footrest had actually been replaced before. When it was installed the PO welded it to the frame siderail, but rather than bending it 90 degrees to attach to the underside of the frame rail, he used a straight piece of rod and ran it across to the other pin, welding it to the curved part of that one. :omg:

My questions to those with much greater knowledge and experience become:

-Why did Wheel Horse use "short" footrest/pedal supports in front and one long on on the back, and

-What do I gain or lose if I cut out both short ones and weld in one nice, clean (and unworn) straight rod all the way across the front? This is effectively the way I found it, but I don't know what if any implements the PO had been using and if this would have created lift issues.

Sorry for the long post; any and all replies will be deeply appreciated!

Duff :drool:

kpinnc

Without seeing what you're talking about, I can't be sure I completely understand what you've got there.

But personally, I would cut all the modified stuff off and weld in another rod where it should be up front. If you go all the way across, it will interfere with the belly lift, if I remember correctly.

Kevin

Butch

My 314 is currently apart and I believe Kevin is right. If you were to use one piece of steel for the foot pegs and run it across he frame I do believe it would interfere with the lift system.

WH854

312Frame.gif

Is this your frame? Maybe this will help solve your Question!

Chas

Duff

Kevin, I can easily see why you're confused.....

OK, guys - I just won the "Senile Old Fart Award" for 2009. :drool: It's what I get for posting from work and from memory. :omg:

I just went out to my shop and checked. Chas's pictorial is right. The problem part I'm referring to is actually at the BACK of the tractor near the tranny mount. This is where the PO replaced one of the footrest supports (toward the right end of Chas's drawing) with a straight bar, ran it across to the other side and welded the end to the curved part of the other support. So.....will this foul up the belly lift or should I try to find a correct curved piece and replace the cobbed-up arrangement that's there?

Sorry for the confusion!!!!!

Duff :drool:

WH854

If It was me I would cut that piece out and make a new one. Down below is where

you would hook up your Snow blade, or mower deck. Thats my 02cents!

Chas

TT

Here's a picture of a "real" frame:

frame006.jpg

Yes, Duff -- you'll need the gap between the rear "pegs" if you intend to use the "T bar" part of the implement lift.

A piece of

Butch

Duff you might as well have them weld an extra plate to the transmission mount. It's cheap insurance if your machine is apart.

Duff

Duff you might as well have them weld an extra plate to the transmission mount. It's cheap insurance if your machine is apart.

Fortunately, that's one of the "good" things about this frame - the PO, for whatever goofs he may have made, did an excellent job of welding a 1/4" steel reinforcing plate in that area and drilling it to match the tranny mounting holes.

Thanks for the input guys - I will cut out the cobbed-up part and install the correct support. This forum is great, as always! :drool:

Duff :omg: