Charley

Serial number/ year model

Charley

can i bead blast the gears? they're pretty rusty.

953 nut
47 minutes ago, Charley said:

Got'em out,  last but not least this guy!

15666006096748641979216072460098.jpg

I would suggest you not remove the 1533 bearings right away. Clean everything up with mineral spirits to get the old oil film off and some diluted vinegar to get the rust out. Rinse it well with water and then put a few drops of gear oil into the 1533s. If they turn freely you will have saved yourself  around $ 150.00.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
33 minutes ago, Charley said:

can i bead blast the gears? they're pretty rusty.

Use the vinegar to remove rust. 

Charley

I havent been able to turn the 1533 an inch. I'll get on  it with the vinegar and some oil. Thank you

• Like 1

Elliot Garfinkel

Hi charlie my name is elliot I've been following your 5025 adventure I think I might be going in that direction  also I was curious as to rough estimate of  9o wt fluid capacity.sounds like it's going smooth   thanks

• Like 1

Charley

Hi elliot, it is going very smooth, these guys are very knowledgable and quick to reply. Ive heard a quart and a half of 90 wt but I'm not that far so I dont know for sure. 

WHX??

Hello Elliot ...please do follow.. amount of oil is about a quart and a half + or -  I fill thru the shifter hole till it just comes out the actual left rear fill hole. Little more is no going to hurt anything. 

Charlie follow Richard's advice on the bearings. DO NOT try and blast them. If they are are gone they are gone but luckily there are replacements these days. 

Sounds like the the fellas  got you coached properly on the rest of bearings. Good luck :handgestures-thumbupright:

The only hard part is cleaning all that old crap off. Just a sample of what I have dealt with ....but here is what I ended up with. Thank you fellas!

20181104_180754.jpg

20190516_114404.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Yes you can glass bead blast the Gears and shafts. I did a rusty Suburban transmission and the glass will not remove metal. 

Vinegar also works well but don’t use any that is over  4%  acetic acid.  I use some 9% on some angle iron so was cleaning up and feel it added some pitting.   I’ve recently used some Evaporust and  really pleased how it worked. It’s a little expensive but a good solution for delicate parts

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 3

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:I'm sorry. .. yes you can blast the gears, and the shafts but be gentle. Ollie knows.  BTW Jim I haven't forgot about that crank you need for a 90/91 ......life gets busy! :D

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

Charley
11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I would suggest you not remove the 1533 bearings right away. Clean everything up with mineral spirits to get the old oil film off and some diluted vinegar to get the rust out. Rinse it well with water and then put a few drops of gear oil into the 1533s. If they turn freely you will have saved yourself  around $ 150.00.

Wow I'm really surprised that my 1533 cleaned up and spins free. I honestly wouldn't have even tried, it was locked up pretty tight. Im ready to order a kit.  I don't see any difference between kit 1 or kit 2 just a price difference.  How do i pick the right one?

• Like 1

Charley

Not so lucky on this one...

15666696168056648583508209507591.jpg

• Sad 1

953 nut
14 minutes ago, Charley said:

Not so lucky on this one.

PM sent!

Charley

how many 1532 bearings do I need I think I need 2 but kit 1 only came with 1.

953 nut
1 hour ago, Charley said:

how many 1532 bearings do I need I think I need 2 but kit 1 only came with 1.

1532 is a closed end roller bearing that carries the shaft end opposite  the break drum. #4 on the drawing.

1916682635_transmissionpartslist.jpg.8d10f64d15981190b96084c873347d93.jpg521922329_transmissionexplodedview.jpg.f0717085f4358a5fd2d7c05f4bb86eb8.jpg

• Like 1

Charley

I see it now, I was relying to much on the pictures provided by the forum but its a 5085, its a little different then mine. thank you, Moving forward shes clean and primed slowing getting her back together...

Edited by Charley
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1