Charley

Serial number/ year model

Charley

It didnt have any clips just hammered in. It barely stuck out the other side 🤷‍♂️

15664371000632017692946342472202.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Now there's some inspiration.  :greetings-clapyellow:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Might need that heat again later...

depending on how "deep" into you go. 

AMC RULES

Trust me...them old roll pins can be a "bleep" !!!

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, Charley said:

I got her out, took a little heat, I'll put a new one in this one has been beat up

:bow-blue:              Removing a rusted hutch pin is a right of passage in the :wh: community!               :text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:bow-blue:              Removing a rusted hutch pin is a right of passage in the :wh: community!               :text-welcomeconfetti:

And steering wheels, and hubs and :shock: ..... didn't know Lowell had hitch pins too Richard. Dan was making them for me so I guess he can retire now?....NOT :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 4

Charley

Rear hubs slid right off havent tried the front yet

• Heart 1

WHX??
1 minute ago, Charley said:

Rear hubs slid right off

Sometimes that worries me Charley. If they come off easy it might mean wallowed bores, axles or keyways.

• Like 1

WHNJ701
25 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Sometimes that worries me Charley. If they come off easy it might mean wallowed bores, axles or keyways.

I have taken rear hubs off a dozen or more wheelhorse unidrives over the years, never had to use a puller or had stuck ones, spray them with pb the day before and a couple light taps with a rubber mallet.  key ways axles etc.. we're ok.  

• Like 2

Charley
22 minutes ago, jabelman said:

I have taken rear hubs off a dozen or more wheelhorse unidrives over the years, never had to use a puller or had stuck ones, spray them with pb the day before and a couple light taps with a rubber mallet.  key ways axles etc.. we're ok.  

Well the seals are worn so they always had a nice coat of oil in them. I hope they arnt arnt wallowed out!!!

• Haha 1

stevasaurus

3/4" pin...I stand corrected.  :orcs-cheers:

• Haha 1

WHX??
36 minutes ago, jabelman said:

never had to use a puller or had stuck ones

Wow you been living real good Jason... I've pulled a dozen or so and most were a fight to the death and a case of PB. . Even had to learn some new French words !  :) 

Only ones I ever had come off easy was because leaky seals kept them loose. So much to the point the set screw loosened a the hub walked and messes up keyway.

I am not alone by the number of hub puller threads here. Here was one that was busted by a PO and had I had to cut it off.

20180417_180745.jpg

20180513_191322.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Charley

Dang i got lucky, im still being patient with the stearing wheel. 

• Heart 1

pfrederi
2 hours ago, jabelman said:

If I send you some money will you buy me some lottery tickets you are one lucky guy!!!!

• Haha 3

Charley

Are axle seals only replaced from the inside of the tranny or do they go on from the outside?

pfrederi
1 minute ago, Charley said:

Are axle seals only replaced from the inside of the tranny or do they go on from the outside?

They go in from the outside.  Cover he axle key way with electrical tape to prevent the sharp edge from damaging new seal.  Use a piece of pipe to push seal on and in.

• Excellent 4

Charley

So 2 axle seals, the drive pully has a seal and the brake has a seal, I don't think I'm gonna open up the tranny.  If it aint broke don't fix it,  right? I have it loaded up with diesel, I suppose my next move will be putting the shift lever back in and making sure it goes in and out of the gear's. Any feedback?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

oliver2-44

Before you put new axle seals on check for worn axle bearings. Try to move the axles up an down. If you have more than a tiny bit of movement, it indicates the bearings are worn. If the bearings are worn, the new seals may not last very long

• Like 4

Charley

Couldn't sleep, too many what ifs! Its worth doing so its worth doing right. Operation tranny rebuild is underway. Stand by!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Charley

15665922851738179433604510523430.jpg

• Heart 1

Charley

Beat these out with a socket?

15665946715323879259150136886.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

Chances are the gears and case will all clean up well enough to be used. If some parts are needed please post your needs here, lots of us have extra parts we can share with you.

2 minutes ago, Charley said:

Beat these out with a socket?

Yes, you can beat the old bearings out with the right size sockets. To replace them you will want to use a hydraulic press to prevent damage to the new bearings.

• Excellent 2

Charley

What is the best method for removing these?

15665956337594111585961429392081.jpg

• Like 1

Achto

If you are also replacing those bearings, you can use a socket & a long extension to drive every thing out from the inside. The right size socket can be used to carefully drive the new seals & bearings in, if you don't have a seal / bearing driver set. I prefer to use impact sockets if I have to use this method, they are softer than chrome sockets.

• Like 1

Charley

Got'em out,  last but not least this guy!

15666006096748641979216072460098.jpg