Charley

This is all the info I have, what year and modle is this? Serial # 44370

20190818_180718.jpg

• Excellent 1

Charley

20190819_202747.jpg

953 nut

:WRS:

:text-coolphotos:                Looks like a 1964 model 854 to me.             :text-bravo:

• Like 1

Charley

Thats great, thank you. Does 854 have any special meaning. Such as what HP the engine is?

Achto
1 hour ago, Charley said:

Does 854 have any special meaning. Such as what HP the engine is

:WRS:

8 = horse power

5 = standard transmission / electric start

4 = the year on the 1960's models. In this case 1964 

It is a shame that part of your gas tank is missing.:(

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

WHNJ701

interesting hack job on the gas tank and the shifter is reversed??

Edited by jabelman

Charley

Somebody cut the tank off, I don't know why SMH, I have a new one and the gear shift has come disconnected from the inside so its all willy nilly!!! Thats a job im a little nervous about. I think i have to split the case to put it back in its home. I don't know anything about that though...

• Like 1

WHNJ701

no the gear shift just fits right in between the shift forks, should take you 2 minutes to get it in

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

My 854.102_0015.JPG.ca2777c5459199f958478a130dde65ec.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Charley
46 minutes ago, jabelman said:

no the gear shift just fits right in between the shift forks, should take you 2 minutes to get it in

What keeps it from popping back out? I wonder why it even came out. Do I just fish around until it falls into place?

AMC RULES

You'll find there is a set screw in the front of the collar that the shifter handle drops into.

• Like 1

Charley
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

I will look for it!

CasualObserver

@Charley :WRS: 

It has the wrong frame for an 854.... the front axle looks to be tucked under a flat front. The rear fenders look awfully pointy, like the 701 fenders, but you have the left side shield which did not come on the 701. Maybe it's just the angle of the picture. Is there anything on that belt guard laying in the bed of the truck? Perhaps a number that ends with a 2? Can we see more pictures please... like the hood and the dash?

• Like 1

CasualObserver

The serial number seems like it should fall in 63... but the frame would be wrong for that too.... perhaps this is a mutt of available parts?

Charley

20190820_185441.jpg

• Like 1

Charley

20190820_185405.jpg

• Like 1

Charley
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

You'll find there is a set screw in the front of the collar that the shifter handle drops into.

So i did find where the set screw should go but when i put the lever in it doesn't function. I dont understand the mechanics of how it should operate. 

oliver2-44

You need roughly a 1” long dog point set screw to go in that hole on the tranny collar. It needs an Allen wrench style head on it. Also a jam nut for the set screw.  Take a tap and clea the holes for the set screw 

The tranny has shift rails that the shifter moves. Look down into the hole and you shown see a open square on each side. Take a big screw  driver and aligh those up to makes a box. 

On  the shifter there is a round collar roughly 2” from the end. That collar has a shallow hole in it that the dog point set screw goes into.  So put the shifter into the “box” made by the shift rails and hold it up so that round collar is flush with the top of the tranny and that shallow hole pointed towards the dog point set screw. Gently tighten the set Screw while wiggling the shifter a tiny bit. You are trying to feel the dog point in the hole.  When the dog point is in the hole tighten the sew screw till the shifter won’t move then back off a little so it just moves easily but not loosely.  Now lock the jam but on the set screw.  

If your Ace or hardware store doesn’t have a dog point set screw you can grind the threads off the end of one   

Hope this helps

• Excellent 2

953 nut

Third post of this thread will give you the needed information.

• Like 1

WHNJ701

it's got great patina on it to.  it should clean up real nice

• Like 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomewave: @Charley!  Nice project you’ve got there!

• Thanks 1

Charley

Great information guys.  The tranny is full of rusty water. I don't know how long shes been sitting.  My dad acquired it years ago for the engine. He put that on a 59 massy Ferguson executive that belong to my grandfather. I definitely do bot want to split thos thing in 2, it doesnt leak yet!!! 

CasualObserver

Nevermind my observations.... it does appear to have the correct frame for a 63 or 64.... still need to see the dash to see. The 854 had the silver and black dash, the 63 models would be white.

WHX??

Excellent tutorial Ollie...I'd flubed that all up! First glance said 753 to me... I thought I saw a bit of white  dash Jason...no matter nice score.

Edited by WHX24

Charley

15663465813114949235378369757069.jpg

• Like 1