slapshot

Update on the 1977 B80 project

slapshot

Thanks to all hat responded to my earlier questions. I got the fuel tank grommet and petcock and fuel line all installed. Also I finally found out where the throttle cable hooked up, and got that done. We bought a new battery, and a new solenoid, and put those in, but after twisting the key to start it, it will not turn over. I can jump the solenoid terminals and get the motor to turn over. Do you think the switch might be defective?  I posted a pic of the wiring from each side. Whoops, looks like pics are both from the left side. Gotta find the other pic.

IMG_20190815_151703372.jpg

IMG_20190815_151709892.jpg

Edited by slapshot
added text.

Pullstart

I see one safety is bypassed, are others done the same?  Do you have a volt meter or test light?  They will help get the “I think” out of troubleshooting just about anything electrical.

• Like 3

moe1965

I see your selonide has one small  red wire going to it I'm assuming it is going to the ignition switch. The other terminal sometimes is used  as a ground to the tractor frame. For it to complete the circuit to the switch. The small terminal on the bottom of the solenoid. 

Edited by moe1965
  • Excellent 2

moe1965

I added more info on the above page

Edited by moe1965

Achto

:text-yeahthat:   Before you throw more parts at it, verify the issue. If you are getting power at the small terminal on the start solenoid with the key in the start position, then the switch is fine. Your start solenoid may require a ground wire on the other small terminal.

• Excellent 1

pfrederi

I think you may have the small red wire from the ignition switch on the wrong terminal of your solenoid.  Many solenoid have two small terminals.  one triggers the solenoid the other was a pass through to the ignition to increase voltage to the coil during cranking and is not used on WHs. the trigger terminal is usually on the left as you look at the solenoid.  In any event move the red wire to the other small terminal and try again.  Won't hurt anything.  Also make sure th mounting bracket is well grounded.

Edited by pfrederi

clueless
13 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I think you may have the small red wire from the ignition switch on the wrong terminal of your solenoid.  Many solenoid have two small terminals.  one triggers the solenoid the other was a pass through to the ignition to increase voltage to the coil during cranking and is not used on WHs. the trigger terminal is usually on the left as you look at the solenoid.  In any event move the red wire to the other small terminal and try again.  Won't hurt anything.  Also make sure th mounting bracket is well grounded.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

ebinmaine

All of the above ideas are great. Also, have we verify that you have the correct ignition switch?

You can verify that by checking the letter codes next to the terminals on the back of the switch.

Lee1977

The 1977 wheel horses had two safety switches one on the PTO and one on the clutch. To start the PTO had to be off and the clutch depressed.

Howie

That solenoid does not ground thru the base. As was said above move the wire you have on there

to the other terminal and run a ground from the other one to the engine. The blot on that side that

bolts ti down would probably work. 

• Like 1

pfrederi
49 minutes ago, Howie said:

That solenoid does not ground thru the base. As was said above move the wire you have on there

to the other terminal and run a ground from the other one to the engine. The blot on that side that

bolts ti down would probably work. 

Most solenoids do ground through the base the other terminal is for the ignition on certain applications.

moe1965

I would check and make sure that selonide grounds through the base .  my money is still on that it needs to be grounded through that other post. 

slapshot

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. That is a replacement new solenoid. When I first installed it, I hooked the wire up to the other terminal. Still nothing. The old solenoid only had 1 terminal. Yes, there is another safety bypassed, not visible in the pic. I had not brought any test equipment with me, I do have a VOM which I could bring next time I go. My friend lives about 1 hour drive east of me. Maybe they're s nothing wrong with the old solenoid. In my original post, I asked where the wire with the loop terminal went, and someone thought it went to the positive post on the solenoid, so that's where I put it. Here is a pic of the loop terminal attached to a red wire.

IMG_20190703_111900521_BURST000_COVER (1).jpg

Howie

Just changed one like that on a late model green tractor last week and it was grounded

from that terminal. I do know the Ford solenoid provided current for the ignition thru the 

other terminal but most of the time on these tractors I have changed it has been the ground.

But I run into a new one every so often! 😁

953 nut

solenoid.jpg.14a13d5477e0a1705735e3fc2b41f165.jpg

• Like 4