Jump to content
pullstart

C’mere deer!

Recommended Posts

pullstart

And just like that, I might have found the new roof to next year’s hunting blind!  I pick up skids to break down and burn from the shop where my brother and father in law work.  They wanted me to take this behemoth skid away too, that a CNC mill shipped to them on.  Cover it with a rubber membrane and some dirt, I’ll be all set for a buried ground blind!

 

 

F0D22D7C-8BB3-4DB0-8E05-31E36094C137.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pullstart

These power poles will be the foundation to the shack!

FF63C071-D9E5-4F3F-AC00-499A7F99061B.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell

Can't wait to see how elaborate this below ground camp becomes....lights, heat, eats, bunks ,etc.

 

BTW,  still trying to harvest a deer with the flintlock  for my Amish neighbor.     So with temps in the 50s, I climbed into my lower stand at 3PM on Friday evening.

Sorry I didn't have a camera, but at 4PM, a string of deer crossed the cut corn field about 120 yards from me.     The string was about 14 deer long and 2-3 deer deep.

There were easily 20 deer in the herd.     I know the deer "yard up"  this time of year, but this is the largest herd I have seen since  living in  western Pa. in the '60s.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pullstart
1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

Can't wait to see how elaborate this below ground camp becomes....lights, heat, eats, bunks ,etc.

 

BTW,  still trying to harvest a deer with the flintlock  for my Amish neighbor.     So with temps in the 50s, I climbed into my lower stand at 3PM on Friday evening.

Sorry I didn't have a camera, but at 4PM, a string of deer crossed the cut corn field about 120 yards from me.     The string was about 14 deer long and 2-3 deer deep.

There were easily 20 deer in the herd.     I know the deer "yard up"  this time of year, but this is the largest herd I have seen since  living in  western Pa. in the '60s.

 

How long is your season, Ed?  We had until Jan. 1 to harvest, now we wait until Oct. 1.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 9:52 AM, pullstart said:

 

How long is your season, Ed?  We had until Jan. 1 to harvest, now we wait until Oct. 1.

Our Flintlock season ended last Monday Jan 1.     I Had a couple shots but there were late near dark and I didn't shoot.     I was pleased when  I shot off the smoke pole to unload it.

It fired first try after being loaded for 3 weeks in some wet weather.

 

BTW,  I was thinking of you guys while eating  my breakfast this  morning...  orange slices, brown eggs, apple fritters maple syrup, and venison scrapple.

102_1216.JPG.d8172b3eabe7a8a323f09c8109c90b9e.JPG

  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX24

Never did get to score on a scrappel or sausage doe either. Here I was all hyped up on making it (scrappel) and even collected some recipes and youtubes!   Between work and the deer going nocturnal just wasn't meant to be. It's like they knew I was in the stand and after I put the weapons back in the gun safe for another year they came out in force and dang near ate corn out of my hand! Oh well I still enjoy just watching them and for next year! I do have a small bag of trim from bucks ...going to try my hand at a small batch of ring garlic bologna. Cindy and I both love that. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pullstart

I’ve never hunted rabbit, but there is sign all over my yard and field of them.  Without a gun in my hand, they don’t seem to be bothered by me walking near the shop or wood shed.

 

Today, I decided I’d take a gander with some game load in my 20 gauge.  I walked about an hour and a half and kicked up one cotton tail.  

 

I found him again maybe 20 minutes later and even took a long shot at him but the marks in the snow indicate I was a bit low at probably 40 yards.

 

Other than being 2 seconds quicker the first time I had a chance to shoot in one of my deer trails, any advice on helping a total novice bag some little buggers?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pullstart

There are plenty of natural water sources in the area with poor drainage, but they come and go.  I’ve read that deer will favor a continuous water source over one that comes and goes.  With the new FEL, I plan to dig holes deep enough to get these flush or even a few inches below the ground level.  They’ll need to be cleaned out each spring and refilled a time or two, but will hopefully become their go-to spot on my terms instead of theirs.  The overflows (or fills maybe?) will be cut down and capped and I need one plug for the bottom drain of one.

 

 

 

 

FDD13A92-02D1-419B-895A-6DB521873FCF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell

Let's see,   You put in a grocery plot and now your adding indoor plumbing.    I'm guessing buck beds will be next.  :ychain:

Image result for deer in a bed pic

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pullstart
7 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Let's see,   You put in a grocery plot and now your adding indoor plumbing.    I'm guessing buck beds will be next.  :ychain:

Image result for deer in a bed pic

 

Should the drapes match the rugs Ed?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pullstart

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pullstart

I saw the first doe in my field in a while today.  To celebrate, I started another food plot.  I have a spring/summer mix that I’m tossing in.  
 

 

BABD4D50-E826-40AA-B31F-23B0C94CA7BA.jpeg

0EA3678A-AEB9-4139-B26B-D70D70A72D1F.jpeg

4B2424AB-E88D-4779-B689-D5384E120827.jpeg

8B429F5C-9001-4627-8916-297941E0F902.jpeg

CB51EA23-C6CD-4E34-A47E-C6B4002DE401.jpeg

12F396D7-EFA0-4C2A-ADF7-DF4A25D8BD53.jpeg

77DEF0AA-577E-4840-8125-F548EE903DE5.jpeg

8A4E3236-9D7A-433A-888E-46B04AF7F4DE.jpeg

70340500-AC6D-409D-A070-CA9DEDB84EEE.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
The Tuul Crib
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, pullstart said:

I saw the first doe in my field in a while today.  To celebrate, I started another food plot.  I have a spring/summer mix that I’m tossing in.  
 

 

BABD4D50-E826-40AA-B31F-23B0C94CA7BA.jpeg

0EA3678A-AEB9-4139-B26B-D70D70A72D1F.jpeg

4B2424AB-E88D-4779-B689-D5384E120827.jpeg

8B429F5C-9001-4627-8916-297941E0F902.jpeg

CB51EA23-C6CD-4E34-A47E-C6B4002DE401.jpeg

12F396D7-EFA0-4C2A-ADF7-DF4A25D8BD53.jpeg

77DEF0AA-577E-4840-8125-F548EE903DE5.jpeg

8A4E3236-9D7A-433A-888E-46B04AF7F4DE.jpeg

70340500-AC6D-409D-A070-CA9DEDB84EEE.jpeg

I have a food plot off my back deck . I 

could have got em with a sling shot!!

B2BF66F7-F099-423C-A2A3-AC089186E607.jpeg

Edited by The Tuul Crib
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...