Pullstart

C’mere deer!

Ed Kennell

Rain and fog here....I'll watch some foosball.Foosball is the Devil Waterboy Bob Painting by Wood Bell | Fine Art America

• Haha 2

Pullstart

@Ed Kennell say hi to Bobby Buché for me!

I had the camera in one hand and the trigger in the other on this doe!  Under 1 hour til dark time.

6C4C60CF-837F-4C5E-9025-C3999648D9C4.jpeg

757965BD-4EE6-4A27-A256-226062E6ACB7.jpeg

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Is it in the freezer? :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

Pullstart
29 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Is it in the freezer? :confusion-confused:

Soon grasshopper.  I have blood, gonna let him die for sure and I’m gonna eat some home made kapusta.

A6A4948D-B98F-4B2B-9CBD-794140FF9E2E.jpeg

Edited by Pullstart
Photo
  • Like 2

Pullstart

No tag soup for us at the @Pullstart ranch!

Nice body 8 point we haven’t seen on camera this season!

A8131F7E-83A1-418E-825B-E2A6E2184D66.jpeg

541B227E-0C79-4574-8058-2F91A9D6F277.jpeg

• Like 4

Darb1964
1 minute ago, Pullstart said:

No tag soup for us at the @Pullstart ranch!

Nice body 8 point we haven’t seen on camera this season!

A8131F7E-83A1-418E-825B-E2A6E2184D66.jpeg

541B227E-0C79-4574-8058-2F91A9D6F277.jpeg

Nice buck, congratulations!! opening day shotgun season in Massachusetts tomorrow. Looking forward to getting out in my home state.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

WTG Kev.     I was in the tree at 5:30 this AM.    The moon was so bright it cast a shadow before sunup.       Three deer crossed the field at 5:45, but they were at 90yds and I couldn't be sure they were legal doe so I letem walk.   We only get one buck tag here in PeeAaa and I punched mine in archery season.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
34 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

WTG Kev.     I was in the tree at 5:30 this AM.    The moon was so bright it cast a shadow before sunup.       Three deer crossed the field at 5:45, but they were at 90yds and I couldn't be sure they were legal doe so I letem walk.   We only get one buck tag here in PeeAaa and I burnedst mine in archery season.

Thanks Ed Dog!  We can purchase a combo license ($40 - a buck and a doe or two bucks), single deer license ($20, I believe either-or but I’ve never purchased one) and individual doe licenses (again, $20 I believe.  I didn’t buy one this year). I’m done with bucks, but Rylee is still open for shooting one or two.  She is a busy girl, with school and wrestling.  I don’t blame her for taking nights off, but I wish she was in the tree last night instead of me pulling the trigger!  Last night, youth group was calling her name 🙏 and I’m ok with that!

• Like 2

Pullstart

Here’s a video of our latest hunting escapades!

Pullstart

Buckey’s burgers!  Yum!  Except, why didn’t I sauté any onions to go with them?  :confusion-confused:

9A12DB27-C591-41C2-B59B-D69282F4A0F2.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart

I fired off this old CVA the other day.  It sure felt good to have such a well balanced muzzleloader in my hands!

• Excellent 2

Pullstart

Today, I’m scrubbing and cleaning and rinsing and drying and oiling.  It was a bit corroded in the barrel, or at least it had a film of build up.  It’s looking pretty good!

A5AD212A-4993-478A-BDB2-43B5991F6045.jpeg

D7B884B9-2696-450B-AEE8-48B5089D5086.jpeg

Ed Kennell

I think you answered your question...how long should you leave a muzzle loader loaded.     Unload and clean it ASAP. 

The "SALT" peter in the gun powder draws moisture and promotes rust.

Accuarcy, my in line CVA150mag loaded with 3-50 grain pyrodex pellets pushing a Sabot bullet will shoot with my .270 Win. out to 200 yds.      

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I think you answered your question...how long should you leave a muzzle loader loaded.     Unload and clean it ASAP. 

The "SALT" peter in the gun powder draws moisture and promotes rust.

Accuarcy, my in line CVA150mag loaded with 3-50 grain pyrodex pellets pushing a Sabot bullet will shoot with my .270 Win. out to 200 yds.      

I’ve never loaded more than 2-50 gr. pellets.  Is there a max allowable?  I figured 100 grains blowing up in my hand would be good enough.  As for it sitting that long ever again, doubtful.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  I have it much cleaner, dry and oiled, heading for the safe.

Pullstart

This one here is a CVA as well, a little more vintage than the one I hunt with, but I’d love to use it one day.  Mrs. P’s grandfather pulled it off his wall and handed it to me a long time ago.  It was the piece that really made me feel like “welcome to the family” when he fired a cap through it in the living room while Grandma was at the stove in the kitchen :lol:.  She had words for him for sure!  The breech plug has been seized up since before it was mine and I’ve done everything I can think of to get it out, shy of chucking it up in a lathe and boring it out.  I have been thinking, maybe it should be hung on the wall in my house.

2D8585BA-F6AF-40C5-B398-F311DF61FD7B.jpeg

Ed Kennell
21 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Is there a max allowable?

90-100 grains is normal.   150 grains requires a heavy barrel that is designed to handle. the pressure. 

The OD of my inline barrel measures 0.890".  So the wall thickness is around 0.240".

104_2665.JPG.cb77fa88f7db01b86342325cad3dc3ca.JPG

I load it with a pinch of 4F powder, 3-50 grain pyrodex pellets and a plastic belted hollow point.    It shoots great and has a recoil like a 3" magnum 12 gage turkey load.

104_2664.JPG.ed815d3f8acbebab8f515f5319815a28.JPG

Too bad you can't get the plug out of the old one.    My flintlock has a locked plug, makes it more difficult to clean, but I use it in our flintlock only season.

• Excellent 1