AHS

What does 10 pinion mean?

AHS

in Snow... is 10 pinion the gearing? Are they common on the wheelhorses or the toro/ wheelhorse? I have a ‘70 Raider 12 that I am just painting up, a ‘73 14hp and a 00’ 312, would any one them have it?

ebinmaine

There's a video pinned in the top of the transmission section that shows Steve asaurus rebuilding a 10 pinion differential. Pinions are the small gears that effectively connect the two axles to the other rotating motion in the transmission.

your 1970 model may very well have a 10 pinion in it and the reason that is good is because it probably also has limited slip. Very very helpful in the snow.

AHS
44 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

There's a video pinned in the top of the transmission section that shows Steve asaurus rebuilding a 10 pinion differential. Pinions are the small gears that effectively connect the two axles to the other rotating motion in the transmission.

your 1970 model may very well have a 10 pinion in it and the reason that is good is because it probably also has limited slip. Very very helpful in the snow.

Oh ya, cause my 312 gets stuck plenty! And I wish that had a limited slip!👍

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, AHS said:

Oh ya, cause my 312 gets stuck plenty! And I wish that had a limited slip!👍

My plow tractor is a 1974 c-160 which was NOT limited slip.

I run all four tires fluid-filled.

255 lbs of fluid weight alone. Another 100 lb of Steel weight added.

I have ag tires with ice cleat chains.

I am another 250 lbs plus.

I wouldn't mind having limited slip but with all that weight I almost never spin a tire even with one wheel drive.

Stormin

605lbs! Poor little horse. :hide:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
Just now, Stormin said:

605lbs! Poor little horse. :hide:

Plus the weight of the plow and frame

• Sad 1

troutbum70

Is that considered animal abuse? Just saying

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lee1977
3 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

Is that considered animal abuse? Just saying

Yes he abused a poor little B-80 before he got the C-160 finished. :ychain:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

AHS
22 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

My plow tractor is a 1974 c-160 which was NOT limited slip.

I run all four tires fluid-filled.

255 lbs of fluid weight alone. Another 100 lb of Steel weight added.

I have ag tires with ice cleat chains.

I am another 250 lbs plus.

I wouldn't mind having limited slip but with all that weight I almost never spin a tire even with one wheel drive.

What would you use for fluid in tires? Obviously a tube? I’m thinking about my AG tires (which are not mounted).

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, AHS said:

What would you use for fluid in tires? Obviously a tube? I’m thinking about my AG tires (which are not mounted).

Definitely advise a tube, yes. Especially with calcium...

There are several different ways you can go.

I have a product in mine called Rimguard which is a derivative of beet juice.

I like it but the dealer that did the work has changed hands and the price has skyrocketed so I won't go that route again.

You can use RV antifreeze. Or Winter type windshield washer fluid. Both of those will help some. They only weigh 7.5 - 8 pounds per gallon.

You can also use calcium  which is what farm tractors have been using for decades. The downside is of course that calcium eats ferrous metal. Being inside of a tube that is not an issue except for the valve. If you change the valve stem about once a year you can negate the most of that effect.

The upside of using calcium is that you can get the weight up to 13 pounds per gallon.

I haven't bought one yet but there are filling kits available either online or at TSC. I don't know what you have around up there.

Being just outside of Bangor you must have tons of availability to parts and services.

• Thanks 1

AHS

Oh, and I forgot.. my Raider.. it didn’t have 1st gear, or 2nd. I took the tranny out and took it to Bradstreet (my old wheelhorse dealer) that’s where they found chunks of metal in it.. apparently it got water in it and froze for many many years. That’s why I found out about the cracked runner shift boot!! It’s got another tranny it it now.

• Like 1