moe1965

1277 auto trans a bit sluggish

moe1965

Hello all.  I'm new to hydraulic  or auto transmissions. So please forgive my ignorance or how I might explain the issue I'm having but here we go..... the trans seams to work fine when I first start mowing but the forward motion slows down as the oil in the trans heats up.  It has power to climb hills but with the leave all the way forward it responds slow.  Any thoughts the fluid is old but at the full mark.  Thanks in advance.  

bc.gold

Which model of tractor, this will tell us the model of the hydro used.

Loss of power when hot usually indicts worn internal parts, when the tractor is cold transmission oil is much thicker and is able to close up the gaps in  those worn tolerances.

You might get by with just a filter and oil change, oil looses it's quality's with age.

Edited by bcgold

moe1965

It's a 1967 1277 I  just acquired this tractor from the original owner. He stayed he never did any thing with the trans  such as oil change and filter. I would agree with his statement because the filter is very rusted and probably original.   I'll change fluid and filter and see if it improves.    Any idea on filter replacement number and or brand.  I'm not able to see a number or brand on the filter on it now.

20190713_134517.jpg

Edited by moe1965

pfrederi

Wix 51410

What color is the fluid.  Red is ATF(dexron 3) tan Motor oil (10w-30)  use what ever was in there.

moe1965

Red fluid. I will change both fluid and filter this weekend and report back.  Thanks

bc.gold

Save the oil you've drained from the hydro thin it out with a solvent of your choice. Let the oil settle out over night then carefully decant into another container.

Examine the metal particles that settled out, these will be on the bottom of the container used to dilute the oil, take a magnet and remove anything magnetic. Hopefully you'll not see any brass.

I usually open up the spent filter to see if any metallic's and type have been captured, the heavier bits if any present will come out when you drain the oil.

Edited by bcgold

daveoman1966

What you've described...."ok at start up, then gets slow / sluggish" is typical sign that the Sundstrand pump is crying for an overhaul.

This is NOT difficult to do, but take a meticulous effort to get it right.  There are brass components inside the pump that easily scratch or score from contaminated fluid...ATF or Motor oil....  Whats more,  it is 50 + years old and things just plain wear out.  

I have a MS Word narrative---with pics----that can help you thru the overhaul.  Do you see any leaks around the pump ???  After 50+ years, seals MAY need replaced...or should be.  

• Like 1

moe1965

I drained the fluid today and I did see flakes in the bottom of the pan.  Not as much as Parker on season 2 of gold rush but enough to make me think of rebuild but not sure if I'm up to the challange.  I cut the filter apart and didn't see anything unusual  The oil did smell a little off so I might just replace filter and oil and see if it gets better.  

• Like 1

bc.gold
4 hours ago, moe1965 said:

I drained the fluid today and I did see flakes in the bottom of the pan.  Not as much as Parker on season 2 of gold rush but enough to make me think of rebuild but not sure if I'm up to the challange.  I cut the filter apart and didn't see anything unusual  The oil did smell a little off so I might just replace filter and oil and see if it gets better.  

Really fine brass particles contribute to years of normal wear, flakes of brass could mean one or more piston slippers are broken or nearing total destruction.

The other brass found inside the hydro in on the valve plates which generally score. The plates maybe resurfaced by lapping.

These hydro's can not be bench tested because they dump the oil back into the transmission housing, and have to be tested while installed in the tractor.

I suggest you browse the repair manual find the test section then hook up a pressure gauge to the test port on the hydro.

The expected pressure limits on the test ports will be in the manual.