daveoman1966

10-Pinion LSD

daveoman1966

If one of the TWO 'pinion housings (item #26 in red circle) ' is cracked, will the 10-pinion Limited Slip Differential (LSD) work properly?

If not, what is the down side???   

pawl 5966.jpg

1127- 005.jpg

Racinbob

I would say yes but depending on how severe it is. The down side is the possibility of it coming apart and spewing parts through the rest of the gears :)

• Like 1

WHX??

Odd that it cracked it just kind of holds every thing together. Side plates do the work and we have seen many of those aluminum ones cracked & looks like you have the steel ones.

I would agree with Bob. but since every thing is inside the bull gear where can it go? One of my workers or just a cruzer I wouldn't worry about it. Flip side tho your in there - replace it with close inspection of other parts.

gwest_ca

Here is my dumb question. Do those gears run on pins or just float around in there?

Don't see pins in the illustration.

Garry

WHX??

They free float on pins that are held captive by the end plates. You can see them in the bottom illustration of the but don't seem to have a P/N assigned?

JoeM

Looks like a major component that transfers torque to the 4-25 drive gear. I would say it does a little more than hold things together.

Just out of curiosity, where exactly is the crack?

Edited by OILUJ52

daveoman1966

The more I ‘study on’ this, I realize the only parts of the LSD that move INSIDE the bull gear (4-25) are the  10 pinion gears (4-27) and, of course…independently… the axles (4-21) with axle gear (4-24) on axle spline.  The differential as a whole, (4-19 thru 4-28) turns the axles, independent of one another.

The 10 pinion gears float freely, but are confined within the housing (4-26).  The housings are locked to the bull gear by virtue of the two ‘tabs’ on the housings’ outer rim.  The bull gear is locked to the end caps (4-19) by (1) dowel pins and (2) the 5 bolts holding it all together.   Accordingly, as long as the pinion gear housing(s)  are not in two pieces, a hairline crack would / should not be detrimental….answering my own question.   However, if either end cap is in two or more pieces, catastrophe lurks. 

It is surprising what a couple cold Coors will do….loosens up the mind.  In deference to Cliff Claven's  'Buffalo Theory' dissertation on the virtues of beer drinking.      

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

Could it be ground out and tig welded?

Pullstart
1 minute ago, daveoman1966 said:

The more I ‘study on’ this, I realize the only parts of the LSD that move INSIDE the bull gear (4-25) are the  10 pinion gears (4-27) and, of course…independently… the axles (4-21) with axle gear (4-24) on axle spline.  The differential as a whole, (4-19 thru 4-28) turns the axles, independent of one another.

The 10 pinion gears float freely, but are confined within the housing (4-26).  The housings are locked to the bull gear by virtue of the two ‘tabs’ on the housings’ outer rim.  The bull gear is locked to the end caps (4-19) by (1) dowel pins and (2) the 5 bolts holding it all together.   Accordingly, as long as the end cap(s) are not in two pieces, a hairline crack would / should not be detrimental….answering my own question.   However, if either end cap is in two or more pieces, catastrophe lurks. 

It is surprising what a couple cold Coors will do….loosens up the mind.  In deference to Cliff Claven's  'Buffalo Theory' dissertation on the virtues of beer drinking.      

I think we are in the same time zone... hitting the Coors already?  :ROTF:

stevasaurus
2 hours ago, WHX24 said:

They free float on pins that are held captive by the end plates. You can see them in the bottom illustration of the but don't seem to have a P/N assigned?

This is not the case.  @gwest_ca the pinions just free float inside part 4-26...there are no pins for the pinions to ride on.  

Dave, your assessment in post  #7 is spot on.  What gets me is how they can crack.  This is the second time on this site someone has had this issue.  The other guy managed to find used parts for his.  His actually broke into pieces.  I know these parts #4-26 are out there, and I would suggest trying to find one or both.  A lot can happen is a very short time if that piece breaks while using the horse.  Check out the 1st part of this video to maybe see how this part can get cracked.  Bolts to tight...or maybe a couple of them loose, a jammed tooth on one of the pinions, a jammed tooth from the axle gear/s???  I would think that part is weldable with just a crack.

gt14rider

Both housings were cracked on my , got two from A-Z.         Bull gear had some wear, were housing rubbed 

20190409_204547.jpg

Screenshot_20190409-210611_Camera.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1