bc.gold

Harvesting the crops

bc.gold

Richard came to the shop for some light weight maintenance  the Case combine 400 hp Cummings that sucks up 16 gallons of fuel every hour in the field, has a 400 gallon fuel tank and the header is a whopping 40 feet wide.

combine1.png

combine2.png

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold

David off loading grain, the two white silos are just for holding grain waiting to be dried, Rob the owner of the Farm has been in a wheel chair for the past 30 years but still manages the farm. His van is equipped with hand controls and a chair lift.

He was trying to read the panel that controls the dryer but was difficult for him to read the panel from the van so I snapped a picture for him to be able to get the information he needed.

They're harvesting barley at the moment, the contract for this was made just after Christmas last year the stakes are pretty high if the barley won't malt for the buyer then its off to the feed mill. Special care is needed when harvesting barley that needs to be malted but it does pay a premium.

grain1.png

grain2.png

grain3.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 3

Pullstart

Now I really enjoy your posts... I really do.  But didn’t you say you’d be off the forum for quite a while prospecting gold?  How did that work out... inquiring minds you know...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CasualObserver
42 minutes ago, pullstart said:

forum for quite a while prospecting gold?

Could have meant "harvesting the crops?" :lol:

osgold.jpg

and yes... i know they're not really in business anymore.... it just fit too well to pass up. My grandfather used to plant Asgrow/O's Gold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bc.gold
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

Now I really enjoy your posts... I really do.  But didn’t you say you’d be off the forum for quite a while prospecting gold?  How did that work out... inquiring minds you know...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

With a spike in platinum metal prices decided to stay home and harvest precious metals from catalytic converters, I covered the process in my prospecting thread.

I do not own a gold claim so my only option would be to use the public panning reserves set aside by the government and these reserves are pan and shovel use only. Spending a summer on one you might be lucky enough to get a 1/4 ounce of gold in your vial.

There are six platinum sister the three below are used in catalytic converters, much more profitable than chasing a few grains of gold on a public prospecting reserve.

Platinum 836.00 -6.00
Palladium 1430.00 +22.00
Rhodium 3630.00 +50
Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thanks for posting. Things I would never see by me. I just see. Traffic. 

Glenn

• Like 2

bc.gold
2 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Thanks for posting. Things I would never see by me. I just see. Traffic. 

Glenn

The folks that own the farm are terrific, Rob is the oldest son and inherited a majority share, Collin his son after his marriage to Charlene who recently gave birth to twin boys, majority was handed over to the newly weds. Now in addition to raising the twins she now manages the farm office and often seen driving a semi or some other piece of farm equipment.

Even though Rob has been tied to a wheel chair these past years it;s through his innovative thinking and frugal use of funds that the farm has grown. When new land was purchased and had to be cleared most farmers just burn the trees not Rob he purchased a wood processor.

The wood processor serves several purposes, make money from fire wood, fuel for the outdoor boiler that heats Collin's house the the large work shop and lastly to keep the hired hands busy during the off season.

In the past year have now added a gravel operation, a huge Volvo loader feeds the screening plant most of the semi trucks they own are Mack with 90 percent of the farm equipment being Case.

The workshop has an assortment of equipment, metal lathe, plasma cutter and a large assortment of welders, hydraulic press, shop is unlocked 24/7 everyone is welcome to use it free of charge. Every so often give a token $$ to cover consumables.

The metal lathe and plasma are the toys that I often use.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold

More pictures of the Farm.

The large tanks liquid fertilizer, Ron won't use anhydrous ammonia.

20190819-125045.jpg

20190819-125117.jpg

20190819-125250.jpg

20190819-125329.jpg

20190819-131246.jpg

20190819-131300.jpg

• Like 1

bc.gold

20190819-131623.jpg

20190819-131726.jpg

20190819-131810.jpg

20190819-142235.jpg

20190819-142251.jpg

20190819-142436.jpg

• Like 1

bc.gold

20190819-143024.jpg

20190819-143053.jpg

20190819-143214.jpg

20190819-144111.jpg

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

bc.gold

Soon the gleaners will arrive by the thousands to pick over the harvested fields for grain lost during the harvest.

Canada Geese along with a number of other migratory birds.

The Tuul Crib

Alot of canadian geese stay here all year round . Seems we dont see that migration 

anymore. 

bc.gold
16 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Alot of canadian geese stay here all year round . Seems we dont see that migration 

anymore. 

What is really neat to watch is thousands of geese flying in a circle with others joining the circle from multiple directions then every so often a group leaves the circle. Not sure what's happening with the circle, maybe collecting family members who had spent the summer in different areas of the Province.

Or the new offspring honking for a mate, Geese mate for life.

When a group leaves the circle , some groups fly directly south with some groups heading south east or westward.

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

Vern"s AG manufactures rollers that are pulled behind the swather to compact the windrow left behind after cutting. if the windrows were left high a fluffy the combine would have difficulty picking up the cut.

A few of the farmers can not afford the type of Case combine in the first picture in this thread and have to use multiple pieces of equipment.

Vern also operates a seed cleaning plant from his property the equipment used is fully enclosed and would not make for any decent pictures.

The seed plant uses a various number of different sized screens on a vibratory deck or shaker table, some screens have air blowing up from the bottom.

One farmer who had taken his oats to the elevator had the load rejected because the weed seeds were over the acceptable limit, Vern's to the rescue. Vern told me that load was 60% trash.

On another day, Vern was sizing wheat for a farmer, the larger wheat to be used for planting and the smaller stuff to the elevator to be sold. I suppose the air seeder is size specific and can not handle a mixed sizing of seeds with any accuracy in spacing.