TDF5G

FUEL TANK BUSHING LEAK

rmaynard

Just use a cheap soldering iron. Many of the black tanks that I've repaired just needed the material around the crack to be heated enough so it would melt back together.

• Like 2

TDF5G
10 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Just use a cheap soldering iron. Many of the black tanks that I've repaired just needed the material around the crack to be heated enough so it would melt back together.

I'm watching videos on youtube of people welding plastic stuff (I'm at work so don't tell anyone! :rolleyes:). 

It looks pretty simple.  I found out that many containers are made of HDPE like detergent bottles, milk jugs, and motor oil bottles so there is some material that would be readily available.   I've got a flat bladed soldering iron, so I may just give it a try when I get a chance to get back to it.  

I see Harbor Freight has this one and it comes with some plastic rods for $17.  I saw a video a few minutes ago of a guy using this exact one and it appeared to work very well for him. 

image_23017.jpg

rmaynard

I would use a piece of an old plastic barrel (same material as gas tank) as the donor. The plastic included with the iron may not include HDPE.

• Like 1

Tuneup

That's the iron I use and those rods are no good for the tank. I guess there's plenty of donor plastic out there. It's good iron, though. Worth the money.

• Like 1

TDF5G

Here is a useless update:  (Some of y'all probably think I'm some kinda loser because it takes me forever to fix my horses.) :unsure:  But f you are like me, you like to know how a project or repair turns out for folks.

I obtained one of these plastic welding tips that fits my soldering iron.  Image result for PLASTIC WELDING TIP

I'm intending to cut up an empty motor oil bottle made of HDPE to use as welding rod.  I hope to give this a go this weekend.  

I appreciate all the help and advice.  I will follow up with my results, eventually.

Todd :rolleyes:

Edited by TDF5G
  • Thanks 1

jay bee

I too, used Seals All on my under seat tank a couple years ago and have not had a leak since.

• Like 1

TDF5G

Well it was a success.  I got time to work on it this past Sunday afternoon.  I leak tested it before installation. There is gas in it in that pic with the shut off valve installed.

The oil bottle I had was blue.  It's not pretty but it worked.  I used a small pointed tip to make a groove in the seam first then filled it with the plastic using the triangular tip which worked well but I think I a little hotter iron would work better.  The plastic rod seemed to want to stick to it.  

Thanks again for all the help and advice.  Case closed.

On to the next project.

Todd

20200322_151617.jpg

20200322_151715.jpg

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2