Mike'sHorseBarn

No spark k91 kohler

Mike'sHorseBarn

I need help with this k91 Kohler on a 401 wheel horse. I've put on a new coil, spark plug wire, points, condenser, spark plug, and new wires. I can't see anywhere its grounding out. I disconnected the toggle switch so I ruled that out. I don't know what else to do at this point lol

20190809_171616.jpg

953 nut

Did it have spark prior to the tune up? Are the flywheel magnets good and strong?

Mike'sHorseBarn
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Did it have spark prior to the tune up? Are the flywheel magnets good and strong?

It lost spark prior to tune up but the magnets seem strong.

• Like 1

WHNJ701

clean the new points, and check the gap.  flywheel key good?

Mike'sHorseBarn
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

clean the new points, and check the gap.  flywheel key good?

Yep flywheel key is good.

wallfish

I'm assuming those red wires are, one goes to the points and the other is for a kill switch.

New points come with a coating on the contacts to prevent them from oxidizing so cleaning the 2 contact surfaces on new points should be done.

Roll the engine over by hand to watch the points. Make sure they are opening and closing.

Start with the points setting at .016 give it a yank, open them very slightly, give it a yank and so on.

lay the plug on top of the head to pull it over easier and look for spark.

I can't remember which small coil wire goes where but think the long one goes to ground and the short one to the condenser. It will not spark if they are reversed

Hopefully you didn't end up with a faulty new part. Coil, condenser or plug.

Mike'sHorseBarn
54 minutes ago, wallfish said:

I'm assuming those red wires are, one goes to the points and the other is for a kill switch.

New points come with a coating on the contacts to prevent them from oxidizing so cleaning the 2 contact surfaces on new points should be done.

Roll the engine over by hand to watch the points. Make sure they are opening and closing.

Start with the points setting at .016 give it a yank, open them very slightly, give it a yank and so on.

lay the plug on top of the head to pull it over easier and look for spark.

I can't remember which small coil wire goes where but think the long one goes to ground and the short one to the condenser. It will not spark if they are reversed

Hopefully you didn't end up with a faulty new part. Coil, condenser or plug.

Well I thought short wire went to ground and long wire went to the condenser. I'll swap them tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. Hopefully I didnt ruin the coil.

wallfish

If they are switched it doesn't ruin the coil, or at least it didn't on mine.

Mike'sHorseBarn

I switched the wires and still nothing. I'm at my wits end with this at this point. I don't know what else to do.

gwest_ca

Do one of those wires go to the points? If so disconnect it and connect an ohmmeter between it and the engine block/ground. Crank it over slowly by hand (spark plug out) and see if the points are making electrical contact when closed and no shorts to ground when the points are open.

Garry

• Like 1

STIHL5AEPK7

Did you end up finding the problem? I’m experiencing the same issue right now. 

Gregor

I fought a similar problem for 2 days. Turned out my brand new, right out of the box points, were bad.

Mike'sHorseBarn
13 hours ago, STIHL5AEPK7 said:

Did you end up finding the problem? I’m experiencing the same issue right now. 

No I never figured it out. I tried everything I possibly could and never got it to spark. I ended up selling the tractor to a guy in Virginia and I really wish I could find out if he got it to work.