Digger 66

Leaky axle seal

Digger 66

First time I've had the hubs off this tractor since I brought it home .

It appears the P/O has drilled through the hub and axle because the keyway was all buggered and probably wouldn't hold .

The microfiche shows the axles are discontinued and I fear i'm probably stuck with the snowblower like shear-pin arrangement :handgestures-thumbdown:

I would like to replace the axle seals on this .

Most seals I've worked with on the sled and wheeler can be levered out using a self tapping screw driven into the metal housing of the seal but I see no seal here .

Any help here fellas ?

fISRSt6.jpg

Edited by Digger 66

Digger 66

Or am I stuck removing the transaxle this winter , splitting it and being all correct about it ?

Wildhorse

I just use a small screwdriver and work it around until it bends part of seal and then work it out. Your seal is there.

JAinVA

The steel portion of the the seal is clearly visible.The axle looks a mess. Make sure to tape the axle up prior to installing the new seal. 

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

lynnmor

The seal is much larger than you think and can be worked out as described above.  If it were mine, I would try to find a replacement axle from advertisers and fellow members here.

troutbum70

I see no seal or any part of it, I would take a file and try to clean up the axle, then finish cleaning it with emory paper and get a new woodruff key and finish off the summer with it. If its on a standard transmission with inch and one eighth axle I can supply you with the napa seal number, I just finished putting seals in my 417. 

wallfish

Since the axle is already screwed up, here's a backyard hammer mechanic fix if you want to try instead of replacing the axle.

After seals, install the woodruff key and use JB weld if it's very loose to fill the gap. Slide on the hub and drill a hole into the axle and the hub, 1/2 way into each part. Tap threads into that hole and use 2 set screws as a new key. The screws will tighten the hub on the axle pretty good and you will still be able to remove the hub. :twocents-02cents:

1444562013_hubfix.jpg.490a95825a6d8955a9804a8ac37b65eb.jpg

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

Like Jim @JAinVA said, the seal is clearly visible see red rubber lip that has shrunk off the axle then the paint still in the clevis between the seal and housing since I zoomed in...

Screenshot_20190807-064028.png

• Thanks 1

Retired Wrencher
9 hours ago, wallfish said:

Since the axle is already screwed up, here's a backyard hammer mechanic fix if you want to try instead of replacing the axle.

After seals, install the woodruff key and use JB weld if it's very loose to fill the gap. Slide on the hub and drill a hole into the axle and the hub, 1/2 way into each part. Tap threads into that hole and use 2 set screws as a new key. The screws will tighten the hub on the axle pretty good and you will still be able to remove the hub. :twocents-02cents:

1444562013_hubfix.jpg.490a95825a6d8955a9804a8ac37b65eb.jpg

John I agree with you on the J.B. weld use that on many of the axels I had they always held in place.

ohiofarmer

I have a machinist friend and he said he could broach a keyway with the axle still mounted in the transmission. I do like wallfishes solution

I have glass bedded rifles for a accuracy, and it could be done as long as Pam cooking spray is used on the woodruff key and the damaged keyway is thoroughly cleaned. It does make you nervous wondering if you just glued it permanently however.

I would not trust just glass bedding on a tractor used. For plowing snow

870express

:text-yeahthat:  Get a machinist to weld up the old keyway and mill it down smooth and flush.  Then turn the axle 90 degrees and cut a new keyway.

roadapples

Fixed mine with a brass key the way Ed Kennel showed us.....

Digger 66

Got the old one out and ordered a new one .

Cleaned up the axle shaft with a file and emery cloth .

Going to just stick the bolt back in for now .

Maybe this winter I'll yank it , split it and do it right but I have alot more soil to haul before the snow flies .

Thank you all ! 

-Gene 

QaFQ5k0.jpg

WHNJ701
2 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

before the snow flies .

how dare you say the "S" word in august!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

JAinVA

He is a Boy Scout.Always look to what's coming.

• Like 1

857 horse
12 hours ago, jabelman said:

how dare you say the "S" word in august!

DID HE SAY ,,,,S,,,,,,,?

:text-yeahthat: