jeff lary

48" mower deck question

jeff lary

Will a Wheel Horse Model 78231 -- Ser No. 9900199 mower deck fit on my 3-14-8 garden tractor? This is a photo of my tractor and the mower deck I use on it right now,.. just so you can see what I have. DSCF0516.JPG.6e285322d95c3c3e0afd0a813922e13f.JPGIMG_1452.JPG.a137a1168e9fccb8d5572c8bee9f6d77.JPG

The Tuul Crib

I dont see any problems . It should hook up 

to the attach o matic fine . Just need

longer belt. Not sure of the part number

though.

gwest_ca

Both are 42" width of cut decks.

The 78231 was designed to fit the 260-Series with vertical engine crankshaft.

You would have to compare parts lists to see how many of the parts are the same. Maybe some could be swapped.

Garry

jeff lary

Thanks for the reply,

I have been trying to find a way to see / know if it would fit my tractor. There is sooo much WH information on the web I just cannot sort through it I guess to find out if it would fit my tractor. I bet someplace each model mower has a list of tractors it would fit but danged if I can find anything like that. I'd hate to buy it and then find out it wont fit is all.

jeff lary

Gwest

The guy tells me it is a 48" and made for horizontal shaft engines? I am waiting for a photo from the guy.

Edited by jeff lary

midpack

I have a 48" mounted on a C-175, you shouldn't have a problem mounting it

• Like 1

jeff lary

He also said it will fit model st16 ? tractors I have never heard of st 16 is that a wheel horse tractor model you ever heard of?

I got to go google that I guess. Well I'm back,.. Ok found it guess maybe he might have meant to write st 160? anyway seems it does exist ha ha. Shows what I know sorry all you st16 owners out there...

Edited by jeff lary

gwest_ca

Easy way to ID a 48" deck is the height adjuster is on the left side for 48" decks and on on the right for 42" decks.

Another way is the 48" has a reinforcement plate on top of the deck pan. The edges have a vertical lip that the belt covers are bolted to with horizontal bolts. The 42" decks have the belt cover bolts vertical into the deck pan. 

Decks are sized by their width of cut. A 42" deck may be 48" wide.

Maybe someone has already converted it.

Garry

• Like 1

jeff lary

M my deck the one in the photo has the height adj on the right so if his is a 48" and if I ever get a picture,... it should be on the left correct? So just because the steel deck pan / shell is 48" from left edge to right edge does not mean it is a 48" deck. The blade's may only cut a swath 42" wide for example? I believe I got ya I know about the blade cutting swath width but the left side right side adjuster I would not have known about.

Lee1977

The only ST 16 I know of is a 1973 Sears tractor Built by Roper.

Edited by Lee1977