Bmaui24

416-h starting issue

Bmaui24

I just recently picked up a 416-h from a guy who was unsure why the tractor will not turn over.  He mentioned that when you turn the key on the voltmeter jumps up, but when the key is turned to start, the meter drops all the way down and the tractor wont turn over.  It has the Onan 16HP motor.  Any ideas where to start with this one would be appreciated.  Thanks.

troutbum70

My first thought would be a shorted out safety switch, bad ignition switch, starter shorting out or a shorted wire. Try running a hot wire from battery positive post to starter side of solenoid and see if starter kicks in. Also try jumping across solenoid to see if starter kicks in. Others will chime in with their thoughts. GOOD LUCK

• Like 2

gwest_ca

If you post the tractor model number and serial number we should be able to find a good set of wiring diagrams to help.

Garry

• Like 1

cleat

This might help.

1991 416 Wiring Diagram.pdf

Where it says clutch switch will be your Neutral switch.

I would suspect either a bad neutral switch, PTO switch or a bad contact in the 9 pin connector going to the engine.

Volt meter dropping to zero during cranking is normal for many machines due to how the ignition switch is wired.

Do any of the indicator lights come on when it will not crank over ?

Edited by cleat
  • Like 1

JoeM

Bad battery? Start there and work though.

Taking 12 volts to the solenoid will tell you a lot.

Bmaui24
17 hours ago, OILUJ52 said:

Bad battery? Start there and work though.

Taking 12 volts to the solenoid will tell you a lot.

So OIL, I jumped solenoid and the starter kicked in. Battery is toasted. After checking wiring harness, found several wires fried. Looked for someone with a wiring harness and had no luck, so I'm just going to rewire myself. Going for new battery tomorrow and wire to get this thing started. Any ideas let me know. Serial number is 51-16OE02. Model number is rubbed mostly off but last three numbers are 502.  

20190730_030353.jpg

Edited by Bmaui24

troutbum70

Did you check (wheel horse parts and more) or partsTree.com.  Good luck

gwest_ca

Model number is 51-16OE02

Serial number is 2000502

Good set of wiring diagrams

Garry

bottjernat1

Go buy some wire,cutters, connectors and heat shrink tape. I'd just start redoing what can. I had to redo my daughters 1969 charger 12 last year. It looks like a pro did it. Im not a wiring guy but when i do it i do it the right way. no electrical tape. i dont use tape at all!! Harbor freight sells a wiring kit it works well i like it anyways. Here is a link to show you what i bought. https://www.harborfreight.com/400-ft-wire-storehouse-61527.html

troutbum70

I agree with Nathan no electrical tape, I like the idea of the wire kit at Harbor Freight as it is best to try to match wire color. Next get yourself some rosin core solder a soldering gun if you don't already have one and make sure old wires are nice and clean and shinny and solder all wire connections, this makes a much better connection. Before heat shrinking tube is applied I coat connection with silicon sealer to wart of any moisture or corrosion. And of course make sure heat shrink is on wire before wrapping wire and soldering, don't ask me how I know this. Been there done that when in a hurry. When possible I even try to match heat shrink color to wire color. Also a heat gun works really sweet for shrinking the heat shrink, much better than flame and easier to apply in close quarters.

JaysHorse

Sounds to me like you have multiple melted wires. I would remove the entire harness and replace the melted ones..........Oops. I forgot cuz eh it was creeping up on 4 am and I was getting a little tired. That was the problem that we discovered. Lol

we got it to crank over. Now we aren’t getting any fuel. Waiting for arrival of new pump

Bmaui24

Got the new fuel pump, filter, and new air cleaner. Installed all new parts and she runs. I am getting some surging. What is cause for this?  Thanks for all your help. 

cleat

Onan Surging is usually a sign your carb needs cleaning (sometimes more than once until it is perfect).

It can be from an air leak anywhere in the intake as well.

• Like 1

Bmaui24

Seems to run smooth with choke pulled a little bit. 

cleat

More proof that the carb is just a bit gummed up or you have an air leak somewhere.

JoeM

Just cleaned up a 16 Onan carb doing the same thing, I took a few pics, Tried to get a pic of gunk in float bowl, you can see some of the debris.

First removed air cleaner assy, unscrewed the 4 Phillips screws, I close the choke and throttle when removing screws incase I drop one, remove the float assy, and wipe out old gas and debris, spray down the area with carb cleaner, wipe again. I also spray the metering tube to make sure the ports are open. Then use compressed air to blow out and repeat as needed.

This machine ran pretty good and this solved my surging.

1265712019_516carbclean1.jpg.3ac811dd29f5ddd97421b7f083462611.jpg661550987_516carbclean3.jpg.dab3dfdb52ee6f0c3611e24bcbecc0a7.jpg

2058811837_516carbclean2.jpg.a55ee0cf4d97637d8b7eb8c5fd0534aa.jpg

cleat

You need to unscrew and clean this tube as well.

this.jpg.9cbbb8c42c0ffa0d691dae63a2e7d1d0.jpg

It has some very small holes in it that need to be clean.

• Like 1

Bmaui24

Thanks a bunch. Will clean carb and keep this thread posted. 

Bmaui24

Cleaned carb real good and she runs nice and smooth now. 

20190808_170520.jpg

20190808_120507.jpg

20190808_120923.jpg

• Like 1

KREP

Great thread.  Thanks for the pictures. 

• Thanks 1