Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Is this a Pond walk behind?

Kelly

I picked this up mainly for the like new tires, I walked away a few times but kept being drawn back to it :omg: I kinda thought it might be a pond tractor, one of our members was here today and said he also thought that, but back when Elmer and his brother were together, any help would be great, I found pic's of one like it on a speedex site, it runs like a champ, I know the gas tank is wrong, but they did not weld on the tractor to mount it, it should have a engine mounted tank, it's in realy nice shape for it's age, with plow and cultivators. before I pull the tires anyone interested in it?

100_1901.jpg

100_1907.jpg

100_1904.jpg

Rollerman

Kelly it sure looks like it.

I'm thinking it should have Pond on the gear cover casting, but on the side that faces into the rim where you can't see it very well.

Bob Rock knows a lot about these...he may cruise through here later & chime in.

wheel horse 1045

thats a ponds kelly i had 1 just like it years a go with the same push blade it will say ponds facing the rim

HorseFixer

Yes thats a pond! That Gearcase Shape is imbedded in my mind believe me! :omg: Cause the Pond is all I have looked at for the past 3 weeks! And that fill plug on the top is a dead give away!

56RJRESTO166.jpg

56RJRESTO165.jpg

CasualObserver

Has a striking resemblance to me.

pondtwowheelad.jpg

TT

Yep.... it's a (Harold) Pond. I believe it's a later model "C" or a very early S-8.

It's been about 10 years since I did the Speedex thing, so I'm a bit rough and out of practice on them now. :omg:

Kelly

Jason diff. engine but the rest is just like that one, even the wheels that at first I thought didn't go to it because they have washers welded in the centers, from what I've seen they came that way, and TT yes I think from my snooping it's a model C

Ok how about a year??? late 40's?? early 50's??

TT

Ok how about a year??? late 40's?? early 50's??

Yeah. That's about as close as I can get it. :omg:

Try getting in touch with Mike Hamper and see if he can help you narrow it down. (or maybe he can help you get in touch with someone that can)

hounddoghundzsa

Has a striking resemblance to me.

pondtwowheelad.jpg

Really, Pond Co. was based out of Ravenna, Ohio? :omg: Born and raised here and never knew it. Got any more info on this - I'd like to read up on it.

Hounddog

TT

Got any more info on this - I'd like to read up on it.

Speedex history

HorseFixer

Here are a couple pics of WH walk behinds from last years show. The drive levers are defiantly different as it is on the side and the handle bars which are pointed down wards. I would agree With TT not a WH but does have the Pond rear drive. TT so it looks like Elmo & Cecil copied the rear end from Harold? Is that correct? Which brings up another question... Who was the first to add the pawls to the rear ends on the riders?

2008WHSHOW360.jpg

2008WHSHOW374.jpg

whlpny

Yupper boys its a Harold Pond walker! Speeder all the way!

whlpny

Duke- Don't know whoo was first for a pawl set-up- but the Elmer Pond walkers don't use the same type hub/pawl as an rj-35. The only exception to that would be the WWD which did use the vari speed drive.

hounddoghundzsa

So let me get this straight - Harold and Elmer Pond started out building Speedex tractors as "The Pond Tractor Co." They split and harold continued with Speedex and Elmer went on to produce Wheelhorse in Indiana?

CasualObserver

Actually when they split, they were both using the Pond name... Harold was mad the Elmer started his own company and started calling his company The Pond Garden Tractor Company who sold Speedex tractors, and Elmer called his The Pond Company selling his own Pond tractors which later became the Pond Wheel-Horse and eventually Wheel Horse Products, Inc. Harold also dropped the Pond name and went back to just Speedex.

Kelly, one of the telltale signs yours is from the Harold side is the drive lever. It should have Ravenna OH stamped in it. I have one back at home in the back of my parents shed. Mine's a 1953 with a Briggs 8B on it. It's rough and I don't have any pics of it.