Stike

She's not pretty but...

oliver2-44

Sounds like it needs some TLC, but you've got a good horse to work with.

Retired Wrencher

The side shot looks to be a D series 180? a little tlc she will be a fine worker.

rmaynard

Looks like a 1974 or 1975 D-160 

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

Sparky

Yep, it’s a D160. 

Good luck with it and there are plenty of guys here who know all the quirks of the D’s and can get ya straightened out.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I’d set you up with a 30 pack and pay for that oil change if you decide you don’t like it!  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Wait, was the half a six pack for you while ya did the service work, or for the previous owner?  Or did you both get half?

• Haha 1

The Tuul Crib
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I’d set you up with a 30 pack and pay for that oil change if you decide you don’t like it!  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Wait, was the half a six pack for you while ya did the service work, or for the previous owner?  Or did you both get half?

Make mine  yuengling... not this early 

of course! 

The Tuul Crib

Nice tractor ! Looks like a great find!!

bottjernat1

yep a d-160 great machine i want to get my hands on one! My biggest horse right now is a 953 bought from the original owners son. His dad bought it new at an old local wheelhorse dealer that went out of business before i was even born. I love it. Mine is all original exsept a new paint job by the guys dad. he got bored and repainted it.

• Like 1

Herder

She's a keeper.  16 HP K-series is reliable and long lasting.  Even the ugly one need a good home.  ;)  

pfrederi

D series linkages can be frustrating.  You have an early version that used the the motion control lever (lower slot to the rear) to set the parking brake.  Miss use will damage the hydro unit.  Never move it to the lower rear slot while moving!!!!.  To adjust the linkages check out this manual. You want the 1974 info

Stike

Thanks for the replies, we split the six pack while I did the oil, thanks for the manual download, got the linkage set to center from the manual but the hole in the handle is oval shaped now so I can't get the parking brake set right, plan to weld the hole shut and drill it out to the correct size. Does anyone know where I can find a parts manual for the 1974 d160 I've looked but no luck.

Any thoughts on putting a front end loader and backhoe on this machine? I have been slowly getting everything together for the builds I have all the cylinders, valves, pump and most of the steel, the loader is almost done and I was going to put them on my c195 but now thinking this may be a better option given the heavier frame.

• Excellent 1

pacer

I've had 2 D's with that goofy park brake setup and both of them had a small plate bolted to block it off. I later had another one that wasnt blocked and about the 3rd time the linkage got all jammed up and the aggravation of straightening it out --- well, I just made my own block!!

As mentioned you got probably the best engine that the D's offered, the K341 16hp, the big twins are good engines but parts are getting SCARCE. and the Onans are the same plus they can be finicky. That one lunger Kohler 341 is a brute for power and parts are readily availiable.

Love my D's -- bet you will too......

pfrederi

Parts manual can be downloaded here

The wider heavier frame is a big plus for a loader.    If you are going to use it for heavier stuff you should try to round up The 1" front axle and spindles. Also several have replaced the front wheels with trailer hubs and wheel. (I haven't done that yet but I Do not run heavy loads on rough terrain.)

As you design your subframe make it long enough to extend to the back so you can hang a weight box on it.  Sorry these are the best subframe pics i have.

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_3237.JPG

IMG_3357.JPG

IMG_3397.JPG

IMG_3398.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Stike

Thanks for the info and pictures, those are some fine looking horses you have there, did you build the loader yourself?

Pacer, I agree that linkage is nothing like I've ever seen and a block off plate may be in my future even though I did get the shift arm welded, drilled and pinned tight today I guess I'll see how it is when I get time to put it back together. This is my first d series after wanting one for a long time and so far I love it.