mhlmeader

702 recoil start only?

mhlmeader

Hi folks, might go look at this this afternoon.  He claims it's original, but I thought 702s had a starter generator? My dad's does.  Possible repower?  I'm confused.  He also has the recoil assembly, but it s in pieces and needs repair right now.  Any ideas? Thanks

01212_cQUSeNVtQX4_1200x900.jpg

00E0E_iwHSGDWslWJ_1200x900.jpg

00z0z_g5Hj6aOBB37_1200x900.jpg

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                        The manual shows the 702 having a S/G, but I suspect in 1962 it could be bought with a pull start too. It may have been a customer requested option for the more thrifty buyer, I didn't see a battery box in the pictured so I'm inclined to think it is a factory made pull start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I know just the guy for a pull start!

• Haha 6

rmaynard

What is interesting is that the manual shows only a wiring diagram with battery. The parts list shows a battery box, which in 1962 was welded to the frame. There is no optional pull-start engine listed in parts. 

Does this tractor still have a serial number tag? What is the model and spec number on the engine?

• Like 1

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat:……...But, the 1962 sales brochure states that all the tractors were identical other than the horsepower and electric or pull start. I'm not sure exactly how they meant that but it sounds like you could ask for either. :eusa-think:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard

20 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

:text-yeahthat:……...But, the 1962 sales brochure states that all the tractors were identical other than the horsepower and electric or pull start. I'm not sure exactly how they meant that but it sounds like you could ask for either. :eusa-think:

In 1962 you had the 702, 502, and 552. The 702 had an electric start Kohler 7hp, 552 had the Lawson electric start 5.5hp, and the 502 was a Lawson 5.5hp pull-start. They all used the same frame, and had battery boxes even though the 502 was a pull-start.

mhlmeader

I ask the seller for pics of the engine tag and dash area. No response yet. But thanks for the info so far. 

WHNJ701

are the 2 others for sale?

Racinbob
49 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

In 1962 you had the 702, 502, and 552. The 702 had an electric start Kohler 7hp, 552 had the Lawson electric start 5.5hp, and the 502 was a Lawson 5.5hp pull-start. They all used the same frame, and had battery boxes even though the 502 was a pull-start.

Very true but, especially true in the earlier years, the dealers were quick to offer what the customer wanted. I was with my Dad when he was looking at a 704 new. He was contemplating it when the dealer said that if he wanted electric start he'd do it. No, not a 754 but a 704 electric start maintaining a 704 hood. He actually wanted a pull start and ended up buying it. If the swap would have been done it wouldn't have been 'factory' but I'm sure over the years the word would have been "bought new with the electric start' and the presumption would have been from the factory. I'm sure that's happened a lot with these tractors. If he would have been looking in 1962 I can hear him saying "hmmmm, I want a pull start but I don't want a Tecky" (he was Kohler all the way). It's easy to guess what the dealer would have done. The lack of a battery box is odd though. :)

• Excellent 3

Racinbob
4 hours ago, mhlmeader said:

Hi folks, might go look at this this afternoon.  He claims it's original, but I thought 702s had a starter generator? My dad's does.  Possible repower?  I'm confused.  He also has the recoil assembly, but it s in pieces and needs repair right now.  Any ideas? Thanks

00E0E_iwHSGDWslWJ_1200x900.jpg

Are my eyes messing with me looking at the  blade frame? It looks to be attached in the front of the transmission. :eusa-think:

• Confused 1

WHNJ701
12 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Very true but, especially true in the earlier years, the dealers were quick to offer what the customer wanted. 

which is true, a collector I know has a (a 552 if i remember) wheelhorse that was special ordered with white painted sheet metal because the buyer didn't want it all red.  the dealership made the accommodations to complete the sale

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

which is true, a collector I know has a (a 552 if i remember) wheelhorse that was special ordered with white painted sheet metal because the buyer didn't want it all red.  the dealership made the accommodations to complete the sale

I’d love to see that!

gwest_ca

Trivia - 1962 serial 62-2856 and on have a bent shifter to clear the hydraulic pump

Garry

HY-2 Shifter bend SS.jpg

Edited by gwest_ca
Add illustration
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mhlmeader

Here's some more pics...

Screenshot_20190723-112711.png

Screenshot_20190723-112700.png

Screenshot_20190723-112630.png

stevasaurus

Finally, a correct 702!!!  Everyone has always wondered about the "0" and the "5" as the second digit.  The 502 was a pull start, the 702 was a pull start, the 552 is electric start and the 752 is electric start.  The planets have finally come into alignment.  :occasion-xmas:

You would think that a pull start 702 would have come with the tool box like this 502 did.

2008_0126whtractorsjan090003.JPG

2008_07261962-5020003.JPG

The thread tractor does have the correct 702 seat.  It has been re-painted.  It has original tires, front & rear.  The tower looks correct for the pull start.  It looks like a real 702.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

buckrancher
1 hour ago, mhlmeader said:

Here's some more pics...

imageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9b

Screenshot_20190723-112711.png

Screenshot_20190723-112700.png

Screenshot_20190723-112630.png

something odd is going on here I have never seen a old original kohler 7hp with a 7hp decal like that on the side of the blower tin

• Like 4

CasualObserver
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

and the 752 is electric start.

:huh: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

...and they say...  :confusion-shrug:

you can't make this stuff up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Racinbob

But......but......I've got a 752 that's all original. It's parked right next to my B-160.........:P

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

AMC RULES

Thought you were gonna say your original C-171 Bob.  :lol:

• Haha 1

Terry M
7 hours ago, buckrancher said:

something odd is going on here I have never seen a old original kohler 7hp with a 7hp decal like that on the side of the blower tin

looks like this engine may have been painted.... along with the tractor too.      Hard to say what this tractor really is.....:unsure:

• Like 1

CasualObserver
4 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Thought you were gonna say your original C-171 Bob.  :lol:

Craig... at least there is a factory picture of that model! 

Screenshot_20190723-224235_Drive.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: I just recently saw original dealership point of sale promotional material being up for auction on Ebay too. 

Old cardboard, poster type material...full of mold, priced like they were trying to retire on the sale of this stuff.  :wacko::wacko:

:scared-eek: But...it did Jason, have a large formatted image of that :wh: factory proposed C-171 unicorn. 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1