Zant2540

654 swap to 8 speed

Zant2540

I spent some time searching and found some info but there are still some blanks.  I read it is possible with 1970's and newer, but I could not find anything on older models.  What is all involved to swap out the 4 speed tranny with an 8 speed in my 654?  Will any 8 speed work and/or will a specific 8 speed be less of a project?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

953 nut

:WRS:

The bolt pattern of the six speeds and eight speeds is the same as your 854. The earlier six speeds (break drum located near the rear axle) have the same linkage for the break rod, but the newer eight speeds have the brake drum located further forward. I don't remember the year of this transition but @stevasaurus should be able to fill you in.

• Like 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomewave: @Zant2540!

I put an 8 speed in my 502, essentially the same project you’re trying to tackle.  I believe I made my own brake rod or customized an O.E. Part to fit.... but it was because of what Richard mentioned.  I never did finish a parking brake lever, but otherwise I’m happy with the swap!

• Like 3

Racinbob

If it's original your 654 actually has a 3 speed with the brake drum on the mushroom gear shaft (near the axle). Basically all 3, 4, 6 and 8 speeds will bolt right in but matching the location of the brake drum will simplify the linkage. Putting in an 8 speed (drum on cluster gear shaft) is still a pretty straight forward swap. The routing for the hi/lo shifter could be a bit tougher but no big deal. Keep us informed...….with pictures. :)

:WRS:

• Like 4

pfrederi

Put an 8 speed in a 753.  had to modify the brake linkage and cut some of the hoodstand for the Hi/Lo

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You would not have to modify the linkage if you found an 8 speed #5060 or #5071.  These 2 have the brake drum on the mushroom gear.  They are both 10 pinion Limited Slip Transmissions.  They were on some of the 1967/8/9 horses.  All of the other 8 speed transmission would bolt on but the linkage would need to be modified.  :occasion-xmas:

• Excellent 1

Zant2540

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I have been debating between upgrading my 654 to an 8 speed with a 10 or 12hp (or more) repower to make it more functional for my needs, or to go the easy way and look to trade it for a B or C series. 

It's a hard decision because the 654 was a gift to me from my grandfather.  He found it in a shed on a job site when I was 8 and we tore it apart and restored it together.  I have basically used it to mow for most of the last 25 years, and I picked up a snow plow for it 2 years ago.  And to top it off, my grandfather still smiles every time he sees my 654 and says, "You still have that old tractor."....  On the other hand I have 3 boys that play baseball football and hockey, so that doesn't leave me a lot of time and/money for projects.  And I don't have room for 2 tractors.   

About 2 weeks ago I found a really nice B-100 with 48"deck and snow thrower.  It was exactly what I wanted and it was 5 minutes from my house and the guy only wanted $400 for the whole package.  I stopped to look at it and the guy said he sold it 30 minutes prior, the buyer had already paid and was picking it up that evening.

So that is the sign that I needed.  I'm not supposed to get rid of the 654.  It will become a new project thread built phase by phase.  A multipurpose 8-speed 654 with a 13hp (maybe even 22hp) Predator and a custom combination of factory WH slot/3 point/clevis/and adjustable pulling hitch.

littleredrider

I had a lawn ranger, which is similar to yours. I swapped in a Harbor Freight 13 horse without much issue on the tractor. Cause the crank centerline is in a different location, I made a plate that raised the motor, and used to mount the motor without drilling a bunch of holes in the frame. I took stock air filter housing and muffler off, since no way they would fit. I swapped in an 8-speed, but don't remember what style, thinking later cause brake stuff didn't line up, and dont' think I ever hooked it up, but it was over 10 years ago, so can't remember lol. I do remember that it was a monster. I had a mower deck n snow blower, motor wouldn't slow down for anything. I broke a couple belts on the snow blower, but bout only issue I remember. Wish I still had it, haven't seen another round fender lawn ranger in years....

• Excellent 1