Firebug

8 speed clarification

pfrederi
3 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I'm going to vote negledgeable.  Reason being...the #1528 or B-1816 has lasted 40, 50, 60 years without being replaced in most transmissions.  At almost 1/3 the price of the "J"-1816 and knowing that it made it's appearance in the 1976 transmissions...why spend the extra money.  If you maintain your transmission, I see no need to spend the extra bucks.  I also kind of like the extra bearings supporting the axle on the out ends.  :eusa-think:

Me too I sort of wonder why WH changed to the  J bearing  was it cheaper back then?? or was it better???

stevasaurus

Paul...weird things happen in Indiana.  RacinBob moved back there after a number of years in Florida.  :eusa-think:  Most of us just drive through that state.  Wheel Horse did just use the #103907 exclusively for their manual transmissions in 1977.  In 1978 they went to the #103916.  That uses the #11199 needle bearing (in place of the #1533 ball bearing) because of the shortage.  I have to check to see if they still used that #`105219 in the 3rd generation Section V transmission.  :confusion-confused:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

clueless

So getting back to the original question, the trans you have will do every thing you want it to do plus more.

• Haha 1

stevasaurus

Chris...that has been stated many times through out this thread.  How is the heat down there??  Like a wall, I suspect.  :ROTF:  Actually, we have not got off tangent with what he stated from the start.  One of the things that was asked..." I was curious what the differences were in the upgraded trans."

BTW...Florida has come to Illinois this weekend.  I am not responsible for most of the things I say between now and next Monday (when the temp goes down).  Stay thirsty my friends.  :orcs-cheers:

• Haha 2

clueless
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Chris...that has been stated many times through out this thread.  How is the heat down there??  Like a wall, I suspect.  :ROTF:  Actually, we have not got off tangent with what he stated from the start.  One of the things that was asked..." I was curious what the differences were in the upgraded trans."

BTW...Florida has come to Illinois this weekend.  I am not responsible for most of the things I say between now and next Monday (when the temp goes down).  Stay thirsty my friends.  :orcs-cheers:

Right now, 18:00, heat index is 104.

• Excellent 1

19richie66

It was 116* in my truck today when I got in it to go home. Took a temperature reading on the asphalt right outside the shop before I left....153* and that was about 2pm. Definitely a wall..... a hot wall at that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

stevasaurus

OMG...you could fry an egg on the blacktop.  Don't stand in one place too long.  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Firebug

So as long as mine isn’t locked up or full of saw dust I have the strongest transmission I could put under it that should last a long time with proper maintenance 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib
29 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

OMG...you could fry an egg on the blacktop.  Don't stand in one place too long.  :eusa-think:

Its time for a Yuengling!!!

• Haha 1

Firebug

Looks like that heat is hitting us starting tomorrow, mid 90’s for the next 4-5 days

• Heart 1

19richie66
8 hours ago, Firebug said:

So as long as mine isn’t locked up or full of saw dust I have the strongest transmission I could put under it that should last a long time with proper maintenance 

Exactly. I think the hi-low 8 pinion transmissions were the strongest. That is if I have studied my Stevasaurus manual correctly.👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

KrazeyOlDave

C160 direct bolt in on a 1986 310-8?  Mine just puked and I need something stroooonggg,lol. It’s a FEL and will see lots of abuse.

EA145500-124A-4BA2-88FC-6965C8E5C028.jpeg

3A1B50F2-7B53-426F-BEE3-028DC9C8CEAB.jpeg

55CB3A89-5FDA-479E-AD25-3CE86FE56175.jpeg

Pullstart

Yes, any 8 speed @KrazeyOlDave .  I mentioned Dave Mercer in hour bucket tractor build thread.  He might have something he’s gone through sitting there waiting.

• Thanks 1