The Tuul Crib

Security cameras

The Tuul Crib

I just installed some security cameras at my house because there has been a rash of burglaries in and around the area. I picked up a little system for around 250 with four cameras and the capability of a total of eight cameras on this system .  When it says wireless system beware! 

You still have to run power to the 

cameras!

• Like 2

Digger 66
35 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

I just installed some security cameras at my house because there has been a rash of burglaries in and around the area. I picked up a little system for around 250 with four cameras and the capability of a total of eight cameras on this system .  When it says wireless system beware! 

cameras!

Do you have a link to the system you bought ?

I'm interested in you following up on this .....

The Tuul Crib
3 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

Do you have a link to the system you bought ?

I'm interested in you following up on this .....

I bought them off of fleabay  and let me go back and look. So far l like the system. 

There are so many out there.

RandyLittrell

My neighbor bought the Cobra system from Harbor Freight and he has been happy with it. My shop is 8 miles from my house, so I am not out there all the time and thinking about one myself. Luckily I have great neighbors including a county sheriff across the street. My son made the mistake of going out there with a couple friends one night late and my next neighbor met him in his underwear and a 9mm! The boy didn't do that again! 

Randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The Tuul Crib

The best way to describe what you might want is  look for a 1080 P with at least

1 tb  or  terabyte . The more terabyte you have the more memory it has .  Mine is an eight camera system with 1 TB .  The cameras have great resolution and are wireless but you will have to run power to each camera . Here’s a pic of  One of my cameras .

EC6B92D3-6040-418C-98A0-BA5E5E5E6101.png

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
6 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

My neighbor bought the Cobra system from Harbor Freight and he has been happy with it. My shop is 8 miles from my house, so I am not out there all the time and thinking about one myself. Luckily I have great neighbors including a county sheriff across the street. My son made the mistake of going out there with a couple friends one night late and my next neighbor met him in his underwear and a 9mm! The boy didn't do that again! 

Randy

I’ll bet that was a little bit of embarrassment!!  Its also great to have a 

neighborhood watch as well!!

• Like 2

adsm08
2 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

cameras!

You also need to be careful with wifi cameras because they have a greater potential for loosing their link vs hardwire.

My back door cam I have set up for the wireless network, but hardwired anyway. The real issue is my porch roof keeps me from being able to mount it in a spot where someone couldn't disconnect the power to it. That will be fixed when I redo the porch in a few years.

briankd

about 2 yrs ago we have had people trying to break into our house and trespassing after dark had sheriff out a few times wife wanted to get atd security which a waste  of money. bought a swann camera system from menards  8 camera's 1080 p  night vision  about 200 bucks on sale they been up for 2 yrs now and the best thing i ever did.

as soon as they were up all the different things that happened here stopped immediately if the camera see's something it emails you wife has it on her phone can watch camera's anywhere there is wifi 

wallfish

If you have to run wire for the power anyway, might as well pull the cat5 or cat6 with it and go hardwired. Wireless cameras can be hacked and the bad guys are now watching you.

Wired security cameras for 20 years. Never assume you are not on a camera somewhere once you leave the house. You'd be surprised how covert they can get. Big Brother IS watching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

adsm08
28 minutes ago, wallfish said:

If you have to run wire for the power anyway, might as well pull the cat5 or cat6 with it and go hardwired. Wireless cameras can be hacked and the bad guys are now watching you.

Wired security cameras for 20 years. Never assume you are not on a camera somewhere once you leave the house. You'd be surprised how covert they can get. Big Brother IS watching.

One of the reasons I built my desktop from pieces. It has no cameras that I can't disconnect.

LengerichKA88

We got a system off Amazon, sounds like (and looks like fro your still) we have the same one. Four cameras but can support 8. Uses the IP Pro 3 app to monitor on phones. We also just got a Ring video door bell during Prime Days. Between the tractors, fire arms, tools etc, we have enough expensive (I consider anything worth 200 or more “expensive”) we wanted to be able to further protect our investments. The cameras we have have night vision too, so you see a faint glowing red circle. Makes for a good deterrent. 

AB4B4333-7334-421C-A885-25E0E5FE9CD3.png

Edited by LengerichKA88
  • Like 1

bc.gold
On 7/16/2019 at 7:38 PM, wallfish said:

POE wired cameras and a switch to supply the power over ethernet cable. I believe with a managed switch you can assighn a static IP address from the private network address system.

A static IP address is much more reliable than DHCP which should a power disruption occur the dynamically  assigned ip address is automatically released and some systems have trouble negotiating a new assignment.

The above statement is not entirely true for a managed system the TTL ( time to live ) can be administered in software. For instance my ISP has the TTL set for days, so even after an outage we're assigned the same address, it's lazyness on the IT's part becuase in essence they've given me a benifits of a static address that would have added extra cost to our service.

I could safely run a web, mail of ftp server from the DHCP address.

The time duration for which an IP address is assigned to a DHCP client computer by the DHCP server is technically called the DHCP lease. When the DHCP lease expires, the IP address is revoked from the DHCP client computer and is sent back to the DHCP address pool.

Edited by bcgold

wallfish

You can go POE but it requires a POE camera and either a POE switch or power inserters. The systems these guys were referring to use a separate power wire to the camera. My thought is, it's a no trouble to tape on a cat5 if you're already pulling a power wire to the camera

• Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
8 hours ago, LengerichKA88 said:

We got a system off Amazon, sounds like (and looks like fro your still) we have the same one. Four cameras but can support 8. Uses the IP Pro 3 app to monitor on phones. We also just got a Ring video door bell during Prime Days. Between the tractors, fire arms, tools etc, we have enough expensive (I consider anything worth 200 or more “expensive”) we wanted to be able to further protect our investments. The cameras we have have night vision too, so you see a faint glowing red circle. Makes for a good deterrent. 

AB4B4333-7334-421C-A885-25E0E5FE9CD3.png

Do you have problems with the app crashing a lot?

LengerichKA88

I honestly don’t open it often. It seems to time out the login about once a week though. Since I’m always home, I see more than the cameras do haha. 

The FIL will go through and check footage, but he does that on the cameras receiver itself. He checks in on it occasionally from work. He’ll be gone and I’ll mow the grass and he’ll text me “Yard looks good, thanks” or “I see my babies are in the pool” haha. If he’s had any issues he hasn’t said anything, but I’ll ask him later this evening when I see him 

• Thanks 1