nylyon

Dad said "Be able to fix things"...

Sparky

Well that’s a nice lookin commuter! Bet it’s good on gas. How far is his drive?

Can I ask what’s a rough number on how much $$ you invested? How many hours or your time? I’ve always been wary of foreign cars that don’t come from Japan or Korea. Wife has a Hyundai SUV and my daily commuter ride is a Nissan Altima, hers has been good and my Altima has been beyond fantastic. 

nylyon

He will have between 4 and 7 miles.  This gets about 25 MPG.  Excluding the tires I probably have $2700 in repair, the most expensive being the Torque Converter was shot.  I think that a lot of these cars don't get maintained properly, since they're pretty complicated and parts are expensive.  Once you get them running right though, man are they sweet!  For a 13 year old car with 158K miles, this car has zero rattles, zero squeaks and is amazingly quiet.  I would have no issue taking this anywhere any time.

Oh, and it doesn't leak or burn oil!

• Like 2

Sparky

Torque Converter replacement! Did you drop the tranny yourself? That sounds like a PIA 😁

nylyon
Just now, Sparky said:

Torque Converter replacement! Did you drop the tranny yourself? That sounds like a PIA 😁

Nope, too old to do that, had a shop who specializes in VW / Audi take care of that for me.

• Like 2

wallfish

That's a sweet ride for short money.  I would have no issue taking that anywhere any time.

• Like 1

WHNJ701

wife had vw vr6 when first met up.  fun car to drive, however we would never buy another one.  expensive to maintain, expensive parts, pain to do anything on it. constantly had engine codes that only the dealer could figure out.  yeah never again

WVHillbilly520H
13 hours ago, nylyon said:

I think that a lot of these cars don't get maintained properly, since they're pretty complicated and parts are expensive.  Once you get them running right though, man are they are sweet.

Thats exactly how I feel about the 520s with the Onan engines... BTW good job with the car.

• Like 1

formariz
18 hours ago, nylyon said:

I think that a lot of these cars don't get maintained properly, since they're pretty complicated and parts are expensive.

That is exactly correct. Most are neglected because owners do not maintain them and few mechanics really are familiar with them. We have a newer 2015 A3 and it is an awesome vehicle. In 1999 I gave my oldest son a VW Golf in his senior year in high school. Since he had to purchase a full size passenger van due to his constantly increasing family, this year he returned that car to me with 380,000 miles still with the original clutch in it. It rides pretty much like when it was new. Only some cosmetic issues because of rust, but I already have replacement panels for that. The goal here is that my oldest grandson now 6 will take his drivers test in his fathers car.Regular preventive maintenance is the key. Most just let them fall apart one piece each time so as not to spend money on maintenance or repairs.

• Like 1

nylyon

I got interested in the Audi's when looking for a car for Brittany.  We looked at an older Jeep where they wanted $4000.  We test drove it and I wasn't sure we would make it back.  The criteria I had was wanted something safe and weather capable.  I noticed that there were a LOT of Audi's in the $4000 range so I got interested.  There is a HUGE difference between a $4000 Jeep and a $4000 Audi, we test drove her first 2003 and loved it.  After fixing all the little quirks in her 2003, it was totaled (not her fault) and we used the insurance money to buy a Brilliant Red 2006 A4 with Sport Suspension.  This car has been outstanding and highly reliable, and WOW what a blast to drive with Sport Suspension.

When my oldest had an accident, she decided to get an A4 as well and she now has a beautiful black A4 3.2 Sedan, with all the options.  It's more expensive than Tractors, but these little things get addicting too.

62085198_10157253875133908_8228348927506644992_n.jpg

• Like 1

formariz

My Audi addiction started in 1979 with a new one off the lot. Here it is with the Kids Golf in something he made for me back in 1999. The Cibie fogs and high beams on the Golf are the ones from the Audi from 20 years earlier.

IMG_1983.JPG.9bc5f7a5ef17c09f79be432870495448.JPG

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Those are nice car and I love the looks! They are a pain to put a windshield in though, I took take of one of the local VW/Audi accounts for about 15 years doing all there glass work. Love the cars, well built, but its expensive to have them work on things. You can save a bunch like you did doing things yourself!! 

Randy

LengerichKA88

Every one (import) I’ve seen from Europe that’s been within price range for me has had something major wrong with it... 

MY dad, when I told him I liked the looks of a Saab 900 said “You think you can afford the car, but unless you can afford any repairs it may ever need, you cannot.”

And that’s why I’ve only owned Chevy and Nissan 😂. I’ve never driven an Audi I didn’t like though, well worth the investment.  

• Like 1