"Manic-Mechanic"

RM-364 36" Deck

"Manic-Mechanic"

"I like that set", am going to grab one up. I also used a loctite on the bearings in the stands.

adsm08
53 minutes ago, squonk said:

Harbor Freight sells that same set. That's where I got mine..

They list them, but none of my local stores ever seem to have them in stock.

"Manic-Mechanic"

Order site to store?

"Manic-Mechanic"

I couldn't locate a file with the blade orientation for the RM-364 or otherwise, so I did find this other gear driven deck. I hope this is correct? Not much is familiar about the gear driven decks to me anyways. I also was about ready to trim the 1/8th off of each end then I had a "thought", why not spread the deck the 1/8th instead? As you can see the clearance is there and no grinding.......

timing.jpg

IMG_4069.JPG

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4071.JPG

Edited by oldman

adsm08
1 hour ago, oldman said:

I couldn't locate a file with the blade orientation for the RM-364 or otherwise, so I did find this other gear driven deck. I hope this is correct? Not much is familier about the gear driven decks to me anyways.

timing.jpg

In my experience so far, it matters far more that the blades are facing the right way on the spindles. As long as they don't hit each other clocking doesn't seem to effect performance. I'm sure having them at 90s may do something for balance, but so far I don't have any issues from not having them that way.

One of the first things I did when I got my 855 was sharpen the blades and replace the belts, I didn't pay attention to how I took them off or how I put them on, got them on backwards, and was pretty confused at first when it didn't cut.

"Manic-Mechanic"

I can see that happening very easily! The manual is mainly for parts and not very helpful otherwise.I have it about together, getting ready to make sure the bearing stands are centered before I tighten the four bolts. Yes, I remembered to put the belts in between the pulley and the bearing stand! Thank God for the small miracles! 

adsm08
33 minutes ago, oldman said:

I can see that happening very easily! The manual is mainly for parts and not very helpful otherwise.I have it about together, getting ready to make sure the bearing stands are centered before I tighten the four bolts. Yes, I remembered to put the belts in between the pulley and the bearing stand! Thank God for the small miracles! 

Well after I took it off the second time I figured out that I should see which way the engine spins the deck, then I could spin the deck by hand and make sure they blades were going the right way before putting it all back together.

"Manic-Mechanic"

I just did that earlier, before I tightened it up and began putting together the upper assembly. I think I'll grease the tensioner threads too.

IMG_4075.JPG

IMG_4084.JPG

IMG_4086.JPG

Edited by oldman
  • Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
12 hours ago, adsm08 said:

Well after I took it off the second time I figured out that I should see which way the engine spins the deck, then I could spin the deck by hand and make sure they blades were going the right way before putting it all back together.

I did the same thing! I thought that I had it right and checked again this morning and it was backwards! It's counter-clockwise looking at the pulley! Here is the final on blades. I also included a large flat washer between the pulley and the quick attach.

IMG_4087.JPG

IMG_4088.JPG

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_4091.JPG

Edited by oldman
"spacing"

"Manic-Mechanic"

I finished it up with a nice tap and 3/8ths headed 1/4-20 flange bolts. Tired of the bolts around the covers stripping and having to slowly increase the thread anyways! Found a nice pair of N.O.S. wheels already just the right shade of Red.Lol

IMG_4094.JPG

IMG_4095.JPG

Edited by oldman
spacing
  • Excellent 3