870express

RJ58 exhaust pipe

870express

I'm an amateur, ok?  I'll admit that.  And I know I should have paid attention in high school shop class.  But now I find myself in need of some knowledge about cutting threads on an exhaust pipe for my RJ58/59.  Finding 1/2 inch threaded pipe is no problem, just pick it up at Lowe's.  But Lowe's doesn't stock said pipe in the 3-1/2 inch length required for my tractor.  So I got a longer length of their pipe that was already threaded on both ends, and cut off one end 3-1/2 inches long.  I took that piece to a local plumber and asked him to put threads on the cut end.  He laughed and said he couldn't do it because his die (cutter) was 2-1/2 inches deep, and there was no way he could clamp such a short pipe.  I didn't argue with him, but figured he just didn't even want to try.

So does anyone out there have any suggestions?  I need a 3-1/2 inch piece of threaded pipe, and I am at least willing to try.

0005933_21-threaded-pipe-schedule-80_600.jpeg

oliver2-44

The plumber is right in that his dies have a hard time working with that short piece of pipe.  

If you have a machinist friend, or a local farm fit it shop, they can cut them on a lathe.   

• Like 1

adsm08

When I went through needing custom pipe lengths I went to Harbor Freight and got a manual threading kit and clamped the pipe in a vice. The HF kit didn't cut wonderful threads, they were a little chewy, but it did work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Racinbob

Are you sure they don't have it in the bins with all the pipe nipples? If not try Menards, HD or Ace. :)

• Like 4

wallfish

It's been a long while since doing mine but I used off the shelf pieces of pipe and never had to have any threads cut on the pipe.

• Like 2

adsm08
35 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Are you sure they don't have it in the bins with all the pipe nipples? If not try Menards, HD or Ace. :)

At least around me Home Despot seems to have the best pipe selection, especially in larger sizes. I needed Ford Special Tool "Locally Fabricated Sleeve" the other week for something I was doing and HD was the only place around that had a pipe in the diameter I needed. Everyone else stopped about 1/2 inch too small.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:scratchead: What are you using the 3.5" length for? 

20190714_080342.jpg.3f03ada666d0c65242e99066f6ef1458.jpg20190714_081551.jpg.791e1ed5ab17368df0eaa833221bcaaa.jpg

870express
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

:scratchead: What are you using the 3.5" length for? 

My RJ59 has a Clinton B1290 engine and the first section of pipe coming out of the exhaust port requires exactly 3-1/2 inches to clear the frame.

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

This photo shows the setup using a 3-inch section of pipe, which is too short, and the elbow is not tight.

belt tension 2.jpg

Edited by 870express

adsm08
1 hour ago, 870express said:

My RJ59 has a Clinton B1290 engine and the first section of pipe coming out of the exhaust port requires exactly 3-1/2 inches to clear the frame.

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

This photo shows the setup using a 3-inch section of pipe, which is too short, and the elbow is not tight.

belt tension 2.jpg

If you are not copying an old piece make sure you add 1/4-1/2 inch to your measurements for area taken up by thread.

• Like 1

71_Bronco

You can get a 3-1/2" piece, threaded on both ends, from McMaster for $1.62 + shipping. Can also get a 4" (not sure if you've tried 4" or not)

I have an account with them for when I need some odd special bolts or whatever.

• Like 1

870express
1 hour ago, 71_Bronco said:

You can get a 3-1/2" piece, threaded on both ends, from McMaster for $1.62 + shipping. Can also get a 4" (not sure if you've tried 4" or not)

I have an account with them for when I need some odd special bolts or whatever.

Thanks, but I already ordered one from this place - https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-BLN050-350-1-2-x-3-1-2-Black-Nipple - last night.  $0.84 + shipping.

• Like 1

ACman

Seems any good hardware should carry a 1/2”x3 1/2” nipple :eusa-think: or have nipple cutting attachment. Sure wish I knew how many feet of pipe I’ve ran in my lifetime as a HVAC installer . In a pinch I would thread a coupler onto a short piece of pipe then clamp it in the vise . Next screw your piece you need to thread into the coupler . Now thread your nipple . Yes they tighten up as your threading but it can get you out of a pinch.

• Like 3