N875ED

Low Range Shift Issue

N875ED

My 1986 312-08 tractor refuses to shift into low gear range; I can move the shift lever a couple inches with zero resistance, then it stops hard. Reaching down through the opening under the seat, I can see and feel the shift lever trying to rotate, but the resistance is definitely inside the transaxle. I have tried with the clutch in and out, engine off, but no success.

Any guidance?

Thanks!

ELECTRORIC

There is a shifter bracket inside the trans that is prone to breakage you have to split the trans to fix

• Like 1

JCM

I have four 8- speed tractors,1 that I purchased new, a 1989  312 and 3 others bought used. the 312-8 has never easily gone into low range . The procedure that works for me is with the tractor running in 1st gear while at the same time moving yourself back and forth slightly while seated ,release the clutch pedal a very small bit while applying pressure on the low range selector and it will engage. I would suspect that if the WH engineers ever read this they probably would be laughing at this, but it works for me. You may have something else going on in that trans? Maybe @stevasaurus would be the expert for a better diagnosis.

peter lena

have you ever changed the trans fluid?, another thing, can you drive the tractor for some distance on an empty road, or housing area ? found heating up the gear oil on road drive , makes it possible to get a much better trans flush done, also i would periodically stop and use every gear and range to verify gear function. i used ATF FLUID  to flush out my trans , also jack up the front end to increase the oil discharge .  did this a couple of times to get out the crud , now shifts without effort, also change shift boot , probably letting in moisture. use silicone grease on shiftier boot hole for easy install. hope this helps you out, been there , pete

stevasaurus

The main thing is do not force anything...you may only make it worse.  If you do not need low range, just leave it in high.  There is a shift fork in there and it is probably bent...it may not be broke yet.  You need to open the case and take a look.  The fork can be straightened and welded to fix.  Use this manual to open your trans...Section V.

While, this is not your trans...it is close enough to show you what needs to be done.