Sign in to follow this  
Buzz

A free tractor........finally (dial-up warning)

Buzz

We were working in the yard this morning when a guy pulled in the driveway with an old Wheel Horse on a trailer. I didn't rrecognize him at first but found out that his dad used to be our plumber. His dad passed away quite a few years ago and his mom is getting ready to move in with him so they were cleaning out the out buildings and found this old horse. He was going to junk it but remembered seeing my 'Horses at a show so figured I might want it. He figured right :omg: It looks like it was a 702 by the tie rods and gas tank. Had the hard to find tool box too (now safely in the garage). He had made a three point hitch back when he was first married and using it to work a garden. His dad bought a 1981 "C" series tractor that he uses now. Not ready to get rid of it yet. Oh yeah, that distinctive hood was made out of some old heater duct work (remember his dad was a plumber). Here's the pics:

402.jpg

403.jpg

404.jpg

405.jpg

406.jpg

407.jpg

408.jpg

409.jpg

Rollerman

Nice find...er hand out Buzz. :drool:

Thats some top notch home engineering too. :omg:

linen beige

Me thinks that was a 502 Buzz. The 502 used that small tool box to fill the otherwise empty battery tray. The 702 used a battery so didn't have room for the tool box.

What hp is on it now?

BTW,....nice freebie!

Butch

It's nice they thought of you Buzz and decided not to scrap it. Now let's see what you can turn it into!

hounddoghundzsa

is that an old Briggs longstroke or a Wisconsin? Either way they're nice engines to have. Does look kinda ugly on the Horse though! Nice hand out! :omg:

Docwheelhorse

Oh Baby!!!! Thats a Briggs 10 in there!!! :drool: Theres enough torque stored up in that motor to take on Bills Diesel Beast :omg:

Tony

BTK07

Buzz, When you figure out what that is ae; 702, 502, or whatever it may be please let me know. I have one just like that, minus the hood, that someone painted a God awful maroon color. They even painted over the serial # on the shift patern and the decal on the belt guard. :omg: Anyway your find is putting me closer to find out what mine is. Thanks alot.

Bill

Suburban 550

Can't beat the price, Buzz. Lot of goodies there. :omg: Glad to see it found a good home.

linen beige

They even painted over the serial # on the shift patern and the decal on the belt guard. :omg:

That maroon paint is probably a cheap rattle can enamel. If so, you're probably in luck. Try wetting the surface of that maroon paint with spray on carb cleaner. I like Berryman's B-12 Chemtool. Just get it damp and DON'T rub it. The carb cleaner should disolve the binder in the paint and cause it to wrinkle. After the carb cleaner dries out of the wrinkled paint (Give it an hour to be sure.) it will flake right off with a small brush. It may take a couple of cycles but if you don't over do it the carb cleaner won't hurt the decal. Unless the last guy sanded into the decal you should be able to read it.

If you're worried about getting carb cleaner on adjacent paint you can dab at it with a cleaner soaked cloth or cotton swab, but that takes a lot more time.

This also works great on engine ID tags that have been painted over.

Suburban 550

Good tip, Jim. :omg: I have to try that sometime.

JonW

That was nice of him to remember you. Keeping another WH out of the scrap yard is always good!

Nice little diamond in the rough.

:omg: :drool: