6wheeler

Hauled another piece of Iron home, JD 316

6wheeler

Hi all. A guy at work had a John Deere 316 that he couldn't get running. He had it for many years. However. He will never be known for his stellar maintenance. He said." $50 bucks and its yours". He went out and bought a new one. I feel bad for the new one. Anyway, I went and looked at it. Handed him the cash? Away we went. New front tires, newer seat (no rips), 7/8ths tread on the rears. all the shields are there. I got it home and started getting into it, (not like I don't have enough projects). We loaded it with a Bobcat because the rear wheels wouldn't turn. First thing I found? The brake pedal shaft was rust frozen into the frame. Alot of witches brew and some 2lb.assistance? Voila! Brakes are loose and the tractor rolls. That was just to get it off the trailer. Into the shop with it. First? Compression test. 120 on each cylinder. BTW Onan engine. Next? Check fuel pump. We got stinky old gas. So? fresh gas. Charge battery? Crank..... And crank,,,,And crank. POP and another Pop. Then she coughs to life. Smokes a bit. Stinks alot. But, she runs. Carb cleaning in the future. However. Houston? We have a problem. Not charging. So, I checked the regulator. It is only putting out 0.40 DCV. No good. But since I was in there anyway? I checked the stator. I am not familiar with the ACV it should put out . I had 22 at idle and 34 at full throttle. It this adequate? I don't want to pull the motor if I don't have to. I can't do pics. Any help is appreciated... Pat

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
37 minutes ago, 6wheeler said:

Hi all. A guy at work had a John Deere 316 that he couldn't get running. He had it for many years. However. He will never be known for his stellar maintenance. He said." $50 bucks and its yours". He went out and bought a new one. I feel bad for the new one. Anyway, I went and looked at it. Handed him the cash? Away we went. New front tires, newer seat (no rips), 7/8ths tread on the rears. all the shields are there. I got it home and started getting into it, (not like I don't have enough projects). We loaded it with a Bobcat because the rear wheels wouldn't turn. First thing I found? The brake pedal shaft was rust frozen into the frame. Alot of witches brew and some 2lb.assistance? Voila! Brakes are loose and the tractor rolls. That was just to get it off the trailer. Into the shop with it. First? Compression test. 120 on each cylinder. BTW Onan engine. Next? Check fuel pump. We got stinky old gas. So? fresh gas. Charge battery? Crank..... And crank,,,,And crank. POP and another Pop. Then she coughs to life. Smokes a bit. Stinks alot. But, she runs. Carb cleaning in the future. However. Houston? We have a problem. Not charging. So, I checked the regulator. It is only putting out 0.40 DCV. No good. But since I was in there anyway? I checked the stator. I am not familiar with the ACV it should put out . I had 22 at idle and 34 at full throttle. It this adequate? I don't want to pull the motor if I don't have to. I can't do pics. Any help is appreciated... Pat

36VAC... A $10 regulator off eBay will "rectify'' the no charge issue, seriously, https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113432324941... I'm a firm believer in the Onans, good luck.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Good save.

That voltage should be fine.

6wheeler

Thanks guys. I don't think anyone ever even pointed a grease gun at this poor thing. Steered very hard. I pulled the spindles, cleaned them up? Re-install? We have steering. When I took out the regulator? The right side engine cover was packed full of mouse nest. Good thing I didn't run it hard. Could've had a mouse nest fire. I cleaned it all out of both sides. Apparently, they were snacking on the oil pressure sensor wire insulation. It will work though. WVHillbilly520H, I have one coming. Thanks again.   Pat

• Like 2

T-Mo

Is this the earlier 316 with the single cylinder 16 hp Kohler engine, or the later ones with the Onan engine?  There is a significant difference in the two - not only in the engines, but the transmissions, frames and the electrical systems.

6wheeler

I don't know the model year yet. It has the Onan engine. The product # is M00316X423471. I should be able to find the year. I think it is a late 80's tractor. With that being said? It is showing 841 hours. And, considering the lack of maintenance? I think I can still save it.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, 6wheeler said:

I don't know the model year yet. It has the Onan engine. The product # is M00316X423471. I should be able to find the year. I think it is a late 80's tractor. With that being said? It is showing 841 hours. And, considering the lack of maintenance? I think I can still save it.

I would think so... Let's see a pic

Tractorhead

Sounds you‘ve saved a good Base.

I would suggest for an quick Oilservice included Filterchange before next running.

let‘s see some Pic‘s 

:happy-jumpeveryone:    :greetings-wavegreen:

T-Mo

Serial number makes it a 1987.  The earlier versions had a B43E 16 hp Onan, while the later ones used the P218 18 hp Onan.  I believe the change was around 1987, so yours may have the 18 hp.  The 316 Onan was basically a stripped down 318, with no power steering and just one spool of hydraulics while the 318 had power steering and two spools of hydraulics. You could get a category 0 3 point hitch for these tractors. I had a '88 316 that was converted to dual hydraulics and it had the 3 point hitch.  It was my plow tractor, and it was great in the field - a lot better than my Wheel Horse 416-8 that I used a couple of years ago.

100_0924.JPG

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

I think you may have trouble sleeping at night with that deal!! Nice find!!

Randy

• Like 1