peter lena

refresh two 42 r/d decks

peter lena

recently replaced all bearings and seals on two 42 " r/d mower decks, they were getting noisy, picking them up used , but solid , zero rust. used 6203-2rs bearings and timken # 473380 grease seals, repacked spindles with lucas , red and tacky grease, also replaced the blade nuts. sharpened blades with a coarse and fine file , no impacts or damage , sharp and clean. added a spindle belt tension pulley on the back side of deck , to take out the belt bounce, very quiet and smooth. also scraped down and rustproofed both decks with chain and cable fluid , and heated them both up in the sun to dry. added martin deck wheels from t/s on rear of deck, and went after the proper adjustment setting to stabilize the deck. lubricated everything that has to move , especially the rear height adjustment handle rod, for easy height adjustment. both decks operate like new, very smooth and quiet , i just consider this to be regular maintenance. one of the decks is on my 82 black hood ,magnum swap, its so good you just have to love it. keep them going , its worth it , pete 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Stepney

Funny, did the literal exact thing Saturday night with my 42"RD.. must be something in the air haha. 

• Like 1

Sparky

Nice Pete. These the two deck you bought off me?

• Like 1

peter lena

using the decks regularly, you should notice and hear any changes, found it interesting that the idler pulley is usually the first to go into noise mode. regular lubrication and inspection solves a lot of issues, grease head, pete

drewd

Any pictures? 

peter lena

drewd, i don,t have any pictures of the spindle rebuild, but every bearing was replaced and serviced, along with anything else that looked in need.this rustproofing site i sent in ,gets into the detail i use to maintain my decks. every time i see a lubrication starved horse i just have to ask, how can you use anything with out concern or interest ?  pete

tunahead72
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:44 PM, peter lena said:

... added martin deck wheels from t/s on rear of deck ... 

I'm shopping for larger deck wheels as we speak, do you have any details on the ones you use?

32 minutes ago, peter lena said:

... found it interesting that the idler pulley is usually the first to go into noise mode ...

Interesting indeed.  I replaced all my spindle bearings and mule drive pullies on one of my decks in the last year or so (it was time), and I still have some noise from the deck, I think it's exactly that idler, already have a new one waiting to be installed.

Thanks for the tips!

peter lena

P3x

I have a 42 SDD, 42 Recycler, and 48 SDD. All cut too low for my liking no matter how I adjust them.

So took the idea from others and got larger wheels made by Sten - 8 Inch. A little expensive but can cut at a height that helps to keep the grass green during the dry season.

They're even the same color!  

WH Sten Deck Wheels Purchased.png

8In Wheels Installed 62619.png

• Like 1