Ed Fox

Dead battery?

Ed Fox

Hello, thanks for the add. I'm having an issue with my 312-8. I ran it for about 2 hours. Shut it off for about 15 minutes. Went to restart it and it acted like it had a dead/weak battery. I also noticed with the key off the seat switch light was on but very dim. I jumped it and it fired right back up. At this point I still noted the seat switch light was on dim, dash gauge shows it was charging at 14 volts. I ran it for about an hour and when I shut it off it acted as if it was still dead. Any suggestions before I start throwing money at it guessing what the issue(s) is? I'm thinking a bad battery but why the seat light? Thanks in advance!  Ed

Digger 66

Welcome to Red Square .

I'd like to try to help but I haven't the foggiest idea what a "seat light" is :blink:

Ed Fox
38 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

Welcome to Red Square .

I'd like to try to help but I haven't the foggiest idea what a "seat light" is :blink:

The light that comes on when your not in the seat and the PTO is engaged. 

Did have a slight change in the way it was acting, once I started it from a jump it seemed fine but now as soon as I disconnect the jumper battery it shuts down. Wont stay running under its own power. 

20190707_170613.jpg

• Like 1

Digger 66

Ahhh ^^^ something "modern" :thumbs: .

Mine is a '72 so nothing more than a clutch-switch .

Standard rules apply though ...

If your charging system is putting out 14v , that's one thing you don't have to worry about .

1 How old is the battery ?

2 Disconnect the ground and bridge the gap between the neg post and the ground wire with a test light .

If it comes on when the key is off , something's on that shouldn't be .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Sounds to me as a worn ignition switch.

The wear is conductive, so it seems that the Ignition switch has internal a resistor

built itself from the wear and maye some older grease.

To find out if that happens, get a meter and see while Key is in off position,

if there and how many was Voltage measured between Ground on Tractor and the Positive on the Seatswitch light.

in Off position it shall be 0V.

(both pins on the Seatlight must have same Voltage)

• Like 1

pfrederi

Load test the battery

• Like 1

Ed Fox
3 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

I pulled the battery out of my Cub and stuck it on the Wheelhorse. I pulled the incandescent bulb out of the display. Let see what happens. Im wondering if its possible I'm wrestling with two separate issues. A dead cell AND the ignition switch acting up. I've only had the wheelhorse for a year but I got it from a good friend of mine that was the original owner. It's pretty well maintained and only has 620 hrs on it. Hardly broken in. ;)

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

241068742_1electrical.jpg.2d33443a208791102e52d9113a2f71dd.jpg

• Like 1