cafoose

Sharpening drill bits

cafoose

wallfish

They work great for those bits smaller than 1/2"

Go through your pile of dull bits and enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

I had an old engineer as a customer. We were discussing sharpening bits one day and he said "while a drill doctor will sharpen a bit, it won't fully sharpen one". Then he starts explaining all the angles involved ect.. I gave him my drill index and a week later in he comes with all the bits sharpened. WOW! They worked better than a brand new bit right out of the package and stayed sharp a lot longer! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

We had learn sharpening dril bits in Training, all angles they‘re urgently needed.

We must train it until every angle was right, i hate it, in this timeline it seems wastet time to me, 

but our Trainee told us every day, sometimes you will be glad to have that knowledge.

Different angles for different Materials, most Drillbits you buy will be a compromise of different worlds.

Once wooden, once Steel.

Now, several years later i be proud, i‘m able to do that myself.

ok while not everyday needed, i may not get the perfect angle on first try, but the drillbit will be sharp enough to continue my Work.

Lot of Peoples doesn‘t have that knowledge today, how that work,

also alot of knowledge go passing, because it woudn‘t be trained that active, than in my Training time.

Even i hear if in the Company i work now a Guy, who’s told me „why sharpening, they‘re cheap and the Boss must buy .... just waste it“

I’m speechless about such Attitudes.

• Like 3

JAinVA

Forty years ago as a machinist apprentice I was taught to sharpen drill bits on a bench grinder.Takes a lot of practice but once you understand the geometries involved you never have to deal with dull drills ever.The hardest part is to get the flutes the same length and angle.When drilling if the chips come out the same thickness you got it right. 

• Thanks 2