ohiofarmer

Tool to make z bends in throttle

ohiofarmer

I am a fan of taryl and Mustie youtube videos and in one video taryl showed how slick that he and his special tool could make a z bend for throttle linkage.  Bruce Pender would just futz around forever to do the same thing with no special tools at all, but that is another story...

Not having a special tool when I needed it, I hit on a plan that actually worked. I bent a nice 90 about an inch long where I wanted the z-bend. Then I used a needle nose pliers at  the bend and simply heated the wire red hot beyond the needle nose and used a block of wood to bend toward the needle nose  Quick and easy.

I don't know about how the metallurgy of the throttle wire was affected by all this, but as Taryl would say, " it aint the space shuttle, it's a lawn tractor "  

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 3

953 nut
10 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

don't know about how the metallurgy of

Throttle/choke cable wire is a spring wire, not too sure if the bend in the heated metal will stay, let us know how it works out over time.

I had used a pair of needle nose pliers next to one-another for years and got by OK, but bought a Z Bend tool a few years back and love it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA

Z-bend pliers are worth the price if you are in to this hobby.They sit in the tool box for years and then magically do their thing when you need them.Just saying.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1