"D"- Man

70 mile per hour Wheel Horse tractor involved in an accident.

"D"- Man

One of my D-180's was involved in an accident while traveling at the speed of 70 miles per hour.  Tractor suffered a fair bit of damage. Head light popped out but was unscratched and not broke.  Grill popped out but only slight damage that is easily repairable, steering wheel bent beyond repair, header bent, most probably beyond repair, 8 gallon gas tank bent, but maybe could still be useable, hood questionable, clutch rod bent but possibly salvageable+++

Edited by "D"- Man
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

pfrederi

Obviously your D is faster than mine.  Hope you are OK

ol550

:text-worthless:

• Like 2

adsm08

I think the real question here is why you didn't have it properly secured to the truck bed or trailer it was on.

857 horse

D MAN,,,,,,,OUR FRIENDS HOPE YOU, THE MACHINE AND ANYONE ELSE ARE SAFE  AND REASONABLY UNSCATHED,

HOWARD 857HORSE IN VA  :music-rockon:

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:   :text-+1:  :pray:   :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Excellent 1

rjg854

As long no one was hurt,  tractors can be replaced/repaired. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

JC 1965

I ain't never seen a D-180 that could go 70 miles per hour.  :hide:     On a serious note, glad no one was hurt and i hope you can restore the tractor like new.    :thumbs2:

• Excellent 1

WHNJ701
21 hours ago, "D"- Man said:

One of my D-180's was involved in an accident while traveling at the speed of 70 miles per hour.  Tractor suffered a fair bit of damage. Head light popped out but was unscratched and not broke.  Grill popped out but only slight damage that is easily repairable, steering wheel bent beyond repair, header bent, most probably beyond repair, 8 gallon gas tank bent, but maybe could still be useable, hood questionable, clutch rod bent but possibly salvageable+++

how did the accident happen???

Tractorhead

Hope nobody hurts much.

"D"- Man

Okay here's what happened, my youngest son was driving our minivan pulling a 8 by 5 trailer on which was a D-180 I bought.  It was secured with ratchet straps.  It was also pouring down rain.  He was in the 3rd or left most lane on I-80 West going 70 miles per hour while attempting to pass a semi-truck driver with tandem Fed-ex trailers.  The truck driver swiftly began to merge into the left lane and he gets within a foot of the passenger side of our van, my son had no choice but to swerve partly into the median, in order to try to slow down while he put on the break, to avoid being hit.  He then had to swerve right back onto the highway in order to avoid hitting a sign, this resulted in the trailer fish tailing and causing the van to do a 180.  There were semis heading toward us but they were able to stop.  The trailer was tipped over partly on its side and partly on its top, in the middle lane the tractor was upside down on the right lane with the wooden floor of the trailer, and there were parts of the tractor in the third lane.  We quickly turned the trailer over, put the floor back in the trailer, and reattached it to our van, turned the tractor over, pushed the tractor onto the trailer, gathered up the parts, ratchet strapped the tractor down and drove home. No one was hurt.  The trailer had one corner bent and an Amber lens broke.  There was no damage to our Town and Country mini van. {Video was taken in my driveway after getting home}

• Sad 3
  • Heart 1

Sparky

The best part of this accident story is that no one was hurt, not your family or anyone else traveling on that stretch of highway that day. Tractors are totally replaceable (or repairable).

I notice you didn’t mention any tickets being received...that’s also a plus :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

19richie66

Yeah that could have turned out really bad. Glad that everyone walked away ok. And if that tractor took a tumble off the trailer and landed upside down, it doesn’t look too bad for what it went through. Just proves how tough they are. Glad you guys were ok Mark. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

When I was laying out the E-track for Norman’s tractor deck, I made sure to bolt to more than just the decking and to start and stop the e-track with a crossmember and heavy bolt.  I’m glad that there were no injuries and how minimal the damage actually is considering what could have happened!  The the truck that started swerving towards you stop?

"D"- Man
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

When I was laying out the E-track for Norman’s tractor deck, I made sure to bolt to more than just the decking and to start and stop the e-track with a crossmember and heavy bolt.  I’m glad that there were no injuries and how minimal the damage actually is considering what could have happened!  The the truck that started swerving towards you stop?

No, it just kept going.

• Sad 1

Buzz

70 mph in the pouring rain passing a semi. Were your headlights on? Hmm maybe the truck driver wasn't totally to blame. 

"D"- Man
1 hour ago, Buzz said:

70 mph in the pouring rain passing a semi. Were your headlights on? Hmm maybe the truck driver wasn't totally to blame. 

Our 2014 Chrysler Town and Country minivan has the headlights switch set on Auto at all times.  They were on.  I don't know if the driver saw us.

Dakota8338

Truckers of the past were professionals & drivers dedicated to safety first & foremost on the road.  Not so much today.  Drugs, texting, making phone calls, and all other distractions today has pushed safety from the forefront of their minds, and many are nowhere the professional drivers of year past.  It is nothing uncommon to see big rigs rolling along at 70 MPH, or faster, swaying, or weaving, back & forth from past the fog line to over the center line for miles and miles.  I either back off to let them get out of my way, or pass them and place distance between myself & them.  I have also had them begin crossing the center line moving into my lane when the truck is barely past me with a 53 foot trailer moving over fast.  It pays to be attentive at all times on the roadway.

Glad no one was hurt.  Everything can be replaced, except life!

• Like 1