870express

Where do I begin?

Pullstart

You do ‘t have a cutting torch, do you?  That 3/8” rod could be had I. 3’ sections at most hardware stores, bend to match and drill your holes :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Then use saltwater/peroxide to patina.

• Like 1

870express
14 hours ago, pullstart said:

You do ‘t have a cutting torch, do you?  That 3/8” rod could be had I. 3’ sections at most hardware stores, bend to match and drill your holes :handgestures-thumbupright:

I don't have a cutting torch, but I saw a youtube video of VinsRJ straightening a bent steering link.  He used a MAPP torch to heat the steel rod cherry red, and then clamped the rod in a vice to bend it.  I think I could do that.  In fact I bought 3 feet of 3/8" steel rod this morning for that purpose.  I tried heating it with my propane torch, which wasn't hot enough.  So now it's back to Lowe's in search of a MAPP torch.

I've considered buying an oxy-acetylene rig, seeing a number of them locally on craigslist.  Maybe in another year or two.  I really can't justify the cost right now for no more than I would use it.  A MAPP torch would be more in line with my needs.  And I've got an anvil and a good 8 pound hammer for fine-tuning and "technical adjustments".  :chores-chopwood:

Edited by 870express
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

Honestly, the vice/ anvil and hammer would do wonders on a 3/8” rod!  A piece of pipe and a vice would do it too, but maybe not quite so smooth looking.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Great work!  Have you discussed the steering needs yet?  Maybe I overlooked that problem...  

870express
11 hours ago, pullstart said:

Great work!  Have you discussed the steering needs yet?  Maybe I overlooked that problem...  

Yep.  I ended up making a steering link with 3/8" steel rod.  Works just fine.

870express

My brother-in-law sent me this photo.  There he is at about 5 years of age, sitting on the RJ-58.  That would have been about 1962 or '63.

We will definitely put this old horse back to work pulling the current generation of grandkids around at our annual family get-together.

That looks like a Kohler engine on it.  The current Clinton engine must be a replacement.

charlie.jpg

Edited by 870express
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

AMC RULES

Thing is too nice to restore...

you would be surprised how much original paint is still hiding there.

• Like 1

870express
9 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Thing is too nice to restore...

you would be surprised how much original paint is still hiding there.

I agree.  My plan is to use Rustoleum krud-kutter on it.

Horse Play

Anyone else notice both tractors have the lift cable routed under the engine between the frame rails?  Was that originally how they were to be routed?