870express

Where do I begin?

WHNJ701

cool machine, without the muffler on it, there is less back pressure so that would a reason why it feels like it has less compression 

Mike'sHorseBarn

What a lovely original machine you have there!!!! Unfortunately if you want an original rim they are a little pricey no matter what, but the nice thing about this site is that usually someone here will help you out when you are in need. Your little Clinton engine probably has a stuck valve and those can usually be freed up. Parts for that engine are getting harder and harder to find so if you take it somewhere it could get expensive if it needs rebuilt. If it was me though I would just free the valve and if it has spark, it will run and then just run it the way it is. You are missing the air cleaner and need a muffler too from the look of it. If you google Clinton model 1290 engine you can see pics of what the air cleaner looks like, but someone should be a long here to help you out.

Thanks for sharing this!!

• Like 4

Racinbob

What a great find! I'd keep that patina and I'm sure some guys here will chime in on how to handle it. 

The lack of compression is probably what Mike said. It's not the lack of a muffler. Compression occurs when the valves are closed. 

Keep an eye out for the few parts you need and sooner or later they will show up. You've got a cool survivor there. :)

• Like 1

870express

I think of this project as "wheel horse CSI" requiring some speculation and educated guesses.  Follow the evidence.  :)  I found plenty of photos online (mostly on this fourm) that show what the missing pieces look like.

• Like 2

Achto

:WRS: That is a real nice RJ!!

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS: 

Wow talk about a beautiful patina! That is one nice survivor! Please don't paint a thing!

Icing is looks like most of it is there and unmolested.

If you have trouble finding someone to work on the motor we know a guy who is an ace with Clintons.

Keep us posted.

• Like 1

Pullstart

@870express :text-welcomewave: to :rs:!!

You already know you’ve got a gem, I can’t wait to see you putting around the yard on it!  Something I read here and will surely make sense to you after it sat for 50ish years: if you find that a part is rusted or stuck in place, have some patience with it.  Don’t expect to free up in minutes what took all so long to get stuck in the first place.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Thats a great original machine!  As mentioned above, it may be the lack of a muffler or a stuck valve.  Spray some penetrating oil into the exhaust pipe area. You might also try to use the straw on the penetrate and put in in the spark plug hole to spray sideways toward the intake and exhaust are.  be careful not to drop the straw down the spark plug hole. Most of all, Have fun with it, your father-in-law will be proud of you. 

• Like 3

870express

This is the wheel I took off of the front.  I could probably reuse the tire if I can figure out how to get the bead unstuck from whats left of the rim.  I tried a flat screwdriver and pry bar with no success.  It might be easier to just take a cutting torch or cutoff wheel to the rim.

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

Edited by 870express
  • Sad 2

870express

I tried holding one hand over the exhaust pipe and pulling the rope start.  Bingo.  I immediately felt compression at the exhaust.  So maybe I misinterpreted what I initially felt when I first pulled on the rope start.  I went ahead and covered the exhaust and intakes with plastic, not that it will do much good now.  I will still have to take the head off and look at the valves.  I expect to find mud dobber nests. :)

IMG_0124.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

870express

And I found this after a little scrubbing with a wire brush.  "B11-9".  I think that means the transmission was fabricated on Feb. 11, 1959.  I understand the '58 and '59 models were essentially the same.

IMG_0125.JPG

• Like 2

Pullstart

Is that shifter seal rubber, or globs of grease?

870express

It looks to me like deteriorated rubber.

• Haha 1

oliver2-44

As you get this tractor going you should consider draining the transmission, filling it with diesel or kerosene, drive it around for 10 minutes and flushing it out.  Then refill with 2 quarts of 90Wt gear oil. Also consider replacing that rubber boot on the transmission shiftier, that's where water gets into the transmission.  One of our vendors sells them along with many other great parts.

https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/transmissions.html#!/Wheel-horse-3577-shifter-boot/p/84932555/category=23548039  

There is also a vendor on Ebay that makes reproduction belt guards.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

Racinbob
1 hour ago, 870express said:

I tried holding one hand over the exhaust pipe and pulling the rope start.  Bingo.  I immediately felt compression at the exhaust.  So maybe I misinterpreted what I initially felt when I first pulled on the rope start.  I went ahead and covered the exhaust and intakes with plastic, not that it will do much good now.  I will still have to take the head off and look at the valves.  I expect to find mud dobber nests. :)

You're getting misled by this muffler thing. The muffler has nothing to do with the compression issue your having. What you are feeling is the piston pushing the exhaust out with the exhaust valve open. The basics of a four stroke motor. The piston comes up on the compression stroke, valves are closed. Spark plug ignites things and pushes the piston down on the power stroke, valves are closed. Piston moves back up and pushes the exhaust gases out, exhaust valve open. Piston goes back down and refuels itself, intake valve open. The process repeats. I'm not too good at putting things in writing but that's as basic as I can get it. The bottom line is that the lack of a muffler has nothing to do with the lack of compression. 

I would be opening up that transmission to check out the internals. At the bare minimum your seals will need replacing. You don't have to open it to replace them but taking a look inside would be a good thing. :)

• Like 2

Pullstart
21 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

You're getting misled by this muffler thing. The muffler has nothing to do with the compression issue your having. What you are feeling is the piston pushing the exhaust out with the exhaust valve open. The basics of a four stroke motor. The piston comes up on the compression stroke, valves are closed. Spark plug ignites things and pushes the piston down on the power stroke, valves are closed. Piston moves back up and pushes the exhaust gases out, exhaust valve open. Piston goes back down and refuels itself, intake valve open. The process repeats. I'm not too good at putting things in writing but that's as basic as I can get it. The bottom line is that the lack of a muffler has nothing to do with the lack of compression. 

I would be opening up that transmission to check out the internals. At the bare minimum your seals will need replacing. You don't have to open it to replace them but taking a look inside would be a good thing. :)

:text-yeahthat:

suck, squeeze, bang, blow.  You just don’t have the squeeze part, your hand covering the exhaust acted as the valve that should be working inside the engine.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
12 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

You don't have to open it to replace them but taking a look inside would be a good thing

I would have to agree with Bob. For me it would depend on what kind of goo comes out of the tranny when draining. if the oil is fairly clear and no indication of water I would be tempted to flush & refill with good lube but keeping an eye out for leaking seals. Sometimes opening stuff up you want to try and keep original can mess things up is where I am coming from Bob. Blame my mind set on the keep it original crowd here!

• Like 2

Racinbob
59 minutes ago, pullstart said:

suck, squeeze, bang, blow.  You just don’t have the squeeze part, your hand covering the exhaust acted as the valve that should be working inside the engine.

I've never heard it put that way but I love it!!:)

58 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I would have to agree with Bob. For me it would depend on what kind of goo comes out of the tranny when draining. if the oil is fairly clear and no indication of water I would be tempted to flush & refill with good lube but keeping an eye out for leaking seals. Sometimes opening stuff up you want to try and keep original can mess things up is where I am coming from Bob. Blame my mind set on the keep it original crowd here!

You're right Jim. If the flush is clean and the transmission feels fine don't mess with it. If nothing else, why risk breaking one of the hooby-doobys :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

870express

I had to resort to more forceful means of persuasion with the rusted out wheel.  The bead popped free without much struggle.  The old tire looks like it might have a few more miles left in it.  

IMG_0126.JPG

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

WHX??
3 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

breaking one of the hooby-doobys

Forgot about those...That's what I am talkin! Sometimes ya gotta break a hooby doo to make an omelet tho! :lol:

Man I was hoping you could save that rim. :crying-yellow:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2

clueless

What you have is a nice RJ in better shape than most here find. The fact that it belonged to a family member makes it even better. It's a project that may take some time and a little money, but well worth it. Good luck, you've found the right place for help.

• Like 3

Pullstart
26 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

It’s what high school shop teachers are for!  I learned s valuable four stroke cycle method as a teenager... mix two thought together they stick for a long time!

• Like 2

adsm08
32 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

That's how you teach the 4-stroke cycle to horny teenagers in high school and college. I was a week into tech school when we learned that, it was almost another year before we put the "proper" names to the strokes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

No muffler or muffler only difference is sound (dB) levels.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2