redone

Rusty cables

redone

Hi Guys. I am back with another project. Rusty rubber coated cables. How to free up these cables? B Blaster was mentioned. But they are coated with rubber! 

hope everyone is getting there projects done.

thanks for your help

Bill

AMC RULES

Simply replace them. 

• Like 1

Achto

If you don't wish to replace them, then your best method would be to submerse the entire cable in automatic transmission fluid. Leave it soak for a day or so and then try to free it up. I've found that it works best to try and get the cable to twist inside the casing first. Then try to get it to slide.   

• Excellent 1

ZXT
1 hour ago, Achto said:

If you don't wish to replace them, then your best method would be to submerse the entire cable in automatic transmission fluid. Leave it soak for a day or so and then try to free it up. I've found that it works best to try and get the cable to twist inside the casing first. Then try to get it to slide.   

^ What he said!

Before I soaked them in trans fluid, I would soak them in Evaporust. After that I would do the transmission fluid procedure. Evaporust dissolves the rust and works a lot better when there's not a ton of oil contamination. 

• Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

I just posted same question few days ago...motorcycle cable...

I am trying this oil IV drip but no luck so far. 

Gonna try the the atf bath as well...

8 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Simply replace them. 

Unfortunately not an option...been searching for days and this 1982 CB 125S front brake cable is discontinued and no one has made one after market to replace it...

A42D6C6B-2132-4707-9936-C5C4684A6340.jpeg

• Like 2

peter lena

its very simple to REGULARLY  lubricate your cables, along with many other  rusty lubrication starved areas on your horse, don,t wait for things to rust stop, pete

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
9 hours ago, peter lena said:

its very simple to REGULARLY  lubricate your cables, along with many other  rusty lubrication starved areas on your horse, don,t wait for things to rust stop, pete

Agree! But...This bike sat in a basement for 25 years so the cable had plenty of opportunity to get good and seized...

ZXT
3 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Agree! But...This bike sat in a basement for 25 years so the cable had plenty of opportunity to get good and seized...

Basements are an extreme rarity down here, and never having had any experience with them, I assumed they stayed pretty dry inside. Guess they collect moisture like an underground cellar does.

• Like 2