TC10284

312-8 with K301S Possibly not charging

TC10284
46 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

With a "no current" diode, there should be no harm if you "sister" it with a known good diode (i.e. jumper the new one in parallel with the existing one keeping black or silver band oriented the same as the one you have--on the side AWAY from the engine it looks like). Then try running the engine and looking for charging.

How about these?
https://smile.amazon.com/BOJACK-Schottky-Barrier-Rectifier-DO-201AD/dp/B07XDJGDQP/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=50V+5A+diode&qid=1634588275&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWEdZME5EWktJQzRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODUxNDg1MUFTWTRaUllDT1NPTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDQ3OTE2MlY0WUNFVklaNDVZViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

TC10284

Alright, so I ordered a pack of new 60v 5a diodes and now I'm confused even more. I'm still getting nothing on DC. Made sure the diode was in the same orientation as the old one.

I get 12.5V AC at WOT, but nothing on DC. Is that right? 

I didn't try reconnecting the 3 pin connector to see if the gauge showed that it was charging. Although I guess it wouldn't if the battery has a 12.8v charge and the charging lead only outputs 12.5v.

I just used the voltmeter to test. 

See video and pic in link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eueLMrKEp1uDTJMT7

Edited by TC10284

TC10284

I put the replacement diode in place permanently. Same orientation as the old one (gray band closest to the steering wheel). Still getting 12.5v-13V AC at WOT, 0v DC on whatever voltmeter I test with, even though the bottom half of the AC sin wave is supposed to be cut off by the diode. I can't really tell if it's charging other than that, since my battery is over 12.5V charge. Maybe some day I'll try another one that's around 12V or so and see. Or discharge the current battery some and see if it charges back up when mowing.  

I've considered adding a capacitor after the diode to help smooth out the top half of the AC sin wave. I might do that some day too. 

Edited by TC10284

Handy Don

At this point, I'm a bit dizzy with tests and results.  

Starting with the ending, a capacitor isn't going to be helpful here--there is no practical reason to smooth the sine as the battery's natural capacitance already does that. Have you checked the frequency coming from the stator?  At WOT, it's probably around 250 hz. (50+ revs/second x 5 sets of opposing windings on the stator).

I think you need to create a charted series of tests based on the test sequence in the K301 service manual (on this site in the manual section) and then go through them carefully noting the results from each. The sequence includes battery-disconnected tests and battery-connected tests and assumes a battery in chargeable condition. Unnamed videos that don't identify the test undertaken take a long time to watch and leave one confused--only the test being conducted and the results obtained matter--put those in the chart. Add the videos as backup, if you wish.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

TC10284
7 hours ago, Handy Don said:

At this point, I'm a bit dizzy with tests and results.  

Starting with the ending, a capacitor isn't going to be helpful here--there is no practical reason to smooth the sine as the battery's natural capacitance already does that. Have you checked the frequency coming from the stator?  At WOT, it's probably around 250 hz. (50+ revs/second x 5 sets of opposing windings on the stator).

I think you need to create a charted series of tests based on the test sequence in the K301 service manual (on this site in the manual section) and then go through them carefully noting the results from each. The sequence includes battery-disconnected tests and battery-connected tests and assumes a battery in chargeable condition. Unnamed videos that don't identify the test undertaken take a long time to watch and leave one confused--only the test being conducted and the results obtained matter--put those in the chart. Add the videos as backup, if you wish.

No, I haven't checked the frequency yet. I'm trying to think of how I can check that with what I have. 

Handy Don
16 minutes ago, TC10284 said:

No, I haven't checked the frequency yet. I'm trying to think of how I can check that with what I have. 

Sorry, didn't mean to start you down a rabbit hole with the frequency comment. It isn't really material, to the problem you are troubleshooting. I was only trying to amplify the point that if a capacitor in that circuit would be any real value, there would already be one from the manufacturer.

Right now, you need to be sure you know what you have that is working and what is not working and then move on to the why's and the fixes.

That said, and with me being a bit of a geek, I found it interesting to measure the frequencies since I happen to have a Hz meter. :)

Gregor

I don't know ANYTHING about this type of system (obviously) but what do you have the other stator wire connected to? The lights? Are they working?