smbass412

Problem with 211-5

smbass412

I bought a used 211-5 (I think 1989) last year and it ran great.  This year it has been getting worse and worse and I'm worried the transmission is going.  If I try to go up any kind of slope, even just at a 5 degree angle, it won't make it up it unless it's in 1st or 2nd and even without the mower engaged.  Any ideas on what else it could be?  

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

I will guess the drive belt to the transmission is slipping. The lower the gear the less power it takes to drive the transmission. Could be lack of belt tension and/or a worn 30 year old belt or a seized idler pulley.

Drive belt is listed on this page. Click on the fuzzy picture

Most of us do not have any experience with these light duty tractors. A common question we get is how to route the belt and adjust the belt guides and we do not know. I would suggest you take pictures of everything before you remove the belt if it comes to that. Wire guides can usually be mounted two ways but only one will work. Pay close attention to how they are mounted. In the end their position is usually so they just clear the belt when it is under tension.

As soon as the belt goes loose as in clutch disengagement the guides control the belt location so the clutch will slip. This is the simplest clutch known to man.

Garry

smbass412

I had checked the belt when I first noticed it and it looked fine, but after your post I just said screw it and replaced it. Happy to report that I no longer have this problem!

It wasn't too difficult getting it apart and back together other than you can never fit your hands where they need to go.

Thanks for the help!