PAguy

314-8 transmission

PAguy

I have a Toro wheel horse 314 and I have two questions. One noticed when in 2nd the shifter does not lock tight and seems loose it will hold in place and drives but is not locked tight like in the other gears. 

Second, the manual says nothing about changing the transmission fluid. Just to check the level. Should it be changed? And if yes what's the best way to do that without causing damage to the transmission? This was my grandfathers and I am sure he never changed out the fluid. 

953 nut

:WRS:

Glad to see you will be giving your Grandfather's :wh: some love.

6 hours ago, PAguy said:

noticed when in 2nd the shifter does not lock tight and seems loose

Your shift lever is retained  bu a "Dog-point Screw that may need to be tightened. in.jpg.2e862187cbb71b470ba4ee48d5742d06.jpg

6 hours ago, PAguy said:

the manual says nothing about changing the transmission fluid. Just to check the level. Should it be changed? And if yes what's the best way to do that without causing damage to the transmission?

Good idea to replace the gear oil .  The drain plug is near the back of the transmission near the trailer hitch. It takes an allen wrench to remove the plug. You should jack up the front end to be sure all the old oil drain. You will need two quarts of 80-90 gear oil to refill, slow and easy when adding the oil or it will burp out and make a mess.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

drain plug is near the back of the transmission near the trailer hitch.....

On the BOTTOM of the case. It isn't the one on the side.

It will be a while draining because of thickness.

I give mine overnight if I can but minimum an hour or two.

You can also flush the transmission using K1 or diesel and drive it around a bit to help cleanse the gears. 

It's a great idea to replace the shift boot if you haven't already done so.

Keep us posted about the color and consistency of the fluid. It often resembles taffy or caramel which is delicious but not what should be in there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

CCW

The shift boot on my 312-8 (inherited from parents after dad passed) was loose, but in good condition.  Put it back on but popped out of place again.  Solved the problem by putting a small hose clamp around the top of the boot.  No more water in the tranny when I changed again this spring.

• Like 2

pfrederi

Drain plug is 1/4" allen probably packed with crud you will; need to clean out first.

InkedIMG_0217_LI.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

Heres what l use. Its a plumbers tool .

lt is just the right size to fit the drain 

plug. 

20F6B418-5D91-44C3-AAEE-22499D40C47E.jpeg

Herder
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

Heres what l use. Its a plumbers tool .

lt is just the right size to fit the drain 

plug. 

20F6B418-5D91-44C3-AAEE-22499D40C47E.jpeg

Good thinking. 

gwest_ca

Many realize the pipe plugs are tapered so wind them in singing tight thinking they will not leak. But they will. This type of pipe thread is not meant to seal. The threads require a thread sealer and just snug them up.They won't fall out. Makes them much easier to get out next time.

Garry

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, gwest_ca said:

Many realize the pipe plugs are tapered so wind them in singing tight thinking they will not leak. But they will. This type of pipe thread is not meant to seal. The threads require a thread sealer and just snug them up.They won't fall out. Makes them much easier to get out next time.

Garry

Mental note....

Stop using 5 foot bar on transmission plugs....

Seriously though.... Teflon tape ok?

71_Bronco

I changed the fluid in my Commando 8 when I got it. I didnt use any sealer on the plug, just cleaned it up and snugged it in. Thays how it was when I pulled it out. Havent had a leak, and it's been a few weeks now.

I know its leaking a little from the axle seals (couple drips when I go on a slope), but nothing from the plug. 

I'll keep an eye on it to make sure nothing happens.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Same here the plug was fine for me. No 

teflon tape , just a good snug tightening.

No leaks

• Like 1

pfrederi

Never used any thing on any of mine   no leaks.  if you have a hydro and use teflon tape you better hope no little part comes off.  The acceleration valve holes on a  sunsdstrand are very very samall and a bit of tape  (or RTV) will plug them up.

• Like 2