kdropper1322@aol.com

Will K121 8 hp motor work on 1979 C121 model tractor?

kdropper1322@aol.com

Hey Guys, 

So my K241 motor seized up and needs to be rebuilt but for the time being i have a spare K121 motor 8HP kohler on the side that will run. Will that motor work on my C121 Tractor and if so is there anything specific i should be looking for to change while in the process? Thanks in advance. 

Regards,
Nate

Achto
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kdropper1322@aol.com said:

i have a spare K121 motor 8HP kohler

:WRS:  I would like to see a picture of the engine ID plate on that k121. The Kohler K121 is a pretty rare engine, I believe it was rated at 6hp. Electric start & dual exhaust ports were some standard features on the K121. Another member on this forum came across one a while ago. Here is a link to his post.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjQr7qlyuTiAhXnqlkKHZ73Ad0QFjADegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wheelhorseforum.com%2Ftopic%2F79038-another-rare-kohler-k121%2F&usg=AOvVaw3L_Nq-walWPC9kUhi10DF7 

A common Kohler 8hp would be a K181.

As far as fitment in your tractor, it probably would not take much to fit it in there. I don't think that you would be able to run a mower deck for that tractor with it though.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

RandyLittrell

And....the 7 HP was a K161. 

Randy

953 nut

Anything smaller than a K-241 will probably require a bit of adapting. any horizontal crank engine that can be fit to the frame will work with a little backyard engineering.

gwest_ca

8hp likely has a 1" crankshaft and the 12hp a 1-1/8" crankshaft so drive pulley and pto sleeve bearing will be different.

Garry

• Excellent 1

kdropper1322@aol.com
Posted (edited)

i believe it to be the 8hp K181 then just need something to get me through the summer mowing season thanks for all the info guys and it's great to have a site where i can lean on the SME's for something like this. I will need to post some pictures as well while i go through the process

Edited by kdropper1322@aol.com
  • Like 1

pullstart

What size deck are you looking to run with the 8 horse?  There was a C-81 8 horse version of your C-121... so it’s been done from the factory.  If you’re cutting with a 32” deck, you shouldn’t have any worry.

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:!!

• Like 1

kdropper1322@aol.com

So update I have everything together and started re going through everything and noticed oil leaking out from behind the fuel pump on the K181 motor anybody know where I can find the gasket for that 

DCB3C10B-B940-4CDA-80BB-0A13F182F585.jpeg

pfrederi

Is yours an original metal pump or a later plastic replacement.  If metal there are two types a pulse pump and a cam shaft operated version.   What is the spec Number of your motor

kdropper1322@aol.com

Original metal cam shaft pump 

kdropper1322@aol.com

pfrederi

pump.JPG

pump2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1