Sign in to follow this  
The Gman

A tip for battery charging

The Gman

For those who have a plethora of horses plus batteries, or not.

Over the years I've kept or found those 12 volt power converts, mostly from cordless phones but other things as well. I wire them to the battery with an on/off switch or a fuse.

When it's time to put most of the heard away for the winter, in the shed or just covered up I run a few power bars, plug them in and say "see ya come spring"

I've been doing this for about 5 years now and leave them on permanently.

I use ones that only put out .5-.7 amps.

I thought of getting a bunch of battery minders, they run $10 to $15 up here north of the boarder.

Works great.

Anybody else tried this?

20190610_152221.jpg

20190610_152237.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

formariz

That is an interesting idea. There are about a dozen of those here accumulated over the years. I wonder if they would overcharge if they are not automatic.

ZXT

I would be very leery of doing that. They don't have any sort of an automatic shut off feature, and in an event of overcharging, that could become a fire hazard. .5-.7 amps is fine when the battery needs it, but once the battery is fully charged it'll just sit there and boil the battery.

I think it's worth the investment to buy a proper tender. $15 is cheap compared to replacing your horses and rebuilding your barn when it burns down. Power strips are a fire danger by themselves if you have anything pulling much current.

They can be had for cheaper off of the internet.

Edited by ZXT

peter lena

been using battery tender for years, just bolt on to battery terminal, or clamp on ,then you have a simple plug in port . i have the lead  tyed  on to my throttle cable , hiding in plain site , always ready for a simple plug in , pete

• Like 1

The Gman

I hear ya...... they are plugged into a timer that set to 6 hrs on, 18hrs off.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1