mhlmeader

1960 suburban 400 transaxle drain plug size?

mhlmeader

Hi folks, in the process of unsticking a very stuck tranny drain plug I marred it up pretty darn good.  Anybody know what replacement size to get? And where? Thanks

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, mhlmeader said:

Hi folks, in the process of unsticking a very stuck tranny drain plug I marred it up pretty darn good.  Anybody know what replacement size to get? And where? Thanks

I'm not familiar with the transmission you have as all of ours are newer but if you take it to a hardware store I think that's just considered a standard replacement part. They should be able to match it up.

• Like 1

WHX??

I'm thinkin 1/4 NPT here Buff Bill . You can get the hex head ones but a square head plug will work good.  

Oh and Ace is the place.... or any hardware store or big box.  Hex heads from McMaster.

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

I have always thought they did not have a drain plug.

Garry

• Like 3

mhlmeader
4 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

I have always thought they did not have a drain plug.

Garry

Yes sir, sure do....this is what's left of mine after I muffed it up, and then tack welded some gooble goop on it to get it to finally come out...I know, I know.....amateur hour at the old shop today!!!:)

20190607_185713.jpg

• Like 1

mhlmeader
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

I'm thinkin 1/4 NPT here Buff Bill . You can get the hex head ones but a square head plug will work good.  

Oh and Ace is the place.... or any hardware store or big box.  Hex heads from McMaster.

Precious thanks you!!!

gwest_ca

Found it in the parts list. 1/8" NPT plug.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

mhlmeader
5 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Found it in the parts list. 1/8" NPT plug.

Garry

Thank you Garry aswell!!!

Achto
2 hours ago, mhlmeader said:

Yes sir, sure do....this is what's left of mine after I muffed it up, and then tack welded some gooble goop on it to get it to finally come out...I know, I know.....amateur hour at the old shop today!!!:)

That is actually the fill level plug.

You need to remove one of the lower bolts that hold the tranny side plate to the center cast piece. This will allow the oil to drain out. When you fill the tranny, add oil until it runs out of the hole that you removed that plug from. The plug is an 1/8" npt pipe plug.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 6

mhlmeader
3 minutes ago, Achto said:

That is actually the fill level plug.

You need to remove one of the lower bolts that hold the tranny side plate to the center cast piece. This will allow the oil to drain out. When you fill the tranny, add oil until it runs out of the hole that you removed that plug from. The plug is an 1/8" npt pipe plug.

Ahhhh, ok....thankyou

• Like 2

WHX??

Correct thinkin now that I have a cocktail in my hand ...I drill the bottoms and install a 1/4 NPT magnetic plug..... On trannies I have to open.. @stevasaurus would approve of removing a case bolt to drain. I could swore one of mine had a drain plug on the bottom??? Or am I thinkin a fill  plug on the top?? Hang on whilst I refresh my glass! :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 3

Racinbob

Dunno Jim. No drain plug on the bottom and there's already holes in the top for filling. I couldn't get the level plug out on mine either but then again, I didn't try too hard. The only reason I tried at all was so I could put a stainless plug in it.

Case bolt to drain and 1 1/2 quarts of go juice and be done with it. :beer:

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 3

WHX??

20151008_175028.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Let me refresh your glass Jim.  If your were drinking Rock & Rye, you would know that there are no drain plugs (except for the bottom bolts) on the 5003 and 5010 transmissions.  Also, no fill plugs on the top...use bolt holes for seat or the shifter hole.

Suggesting...Rock & Rye with that cheese.  @WHX24  :occasion-xmas:  :teasing-wedgie:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

mhlmeader

You fellas are very informative and intoxicating!!!:text-thankyouyellow:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, mhlmeader said:

You fellas are very informative and intoxicating!!!:text-thankyouyellow:

Those fellas are very informative and intoxicated

• Haha 5

stevasaurus

Hey...we resemble that remark. :orcs-cheers:  I am enjoying a Rock & Rye at the moment while I search the site to help more members.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

squonk
16 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Correct thinkin now that I have a cocktail in my hand ...I drill the bottoms and install a 1/4 NPT magnetic plug..... On trannies I have to open.. @stevasaurus would approve of removing a case bolt to drain. I could swore one of mine had a drain plug on the bottom??? Or am I thinkin a fill  plug on the top?? Hang on whilst I refresh my glass! :occasion-xmas:

If you quit pulling wheelies and performing back flips, you'd know what is up and what is down! :) :occasion-xmas:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Achto
2 hours ago, squonk said:

If you quit pulling wheelies

HEY!!! I resemble that remark!!:lol: Enjoying a nice Coke & Captains Black my self @stevasaurus:beer: In my :wh: high ball glass of course. :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_20190206_190249859_HDR-min.jpg.570d7f366f46c72f56ab548f829d5ae0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
9 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Let me refresh your glass Jim.  If your were drinking Rock & Rye, you would know that there are no drain plugs (except for the bottom bolts) on the 5003 and 5010 transmissions.  Also, no fill plugs on the top...use bolt holes for seat or the shifter hole.

Suggesting...Rock & Rye with that cheese.  @WHX24  :occasion-xmas:  :teasing-wedgie:

If Cindy would let me keep a horse or three in the house I could just look over from my stall and see what's on it for drains. ... ok now we need quit messing up Buffalo Bill's thread or he is gonna be saying it puts the drain plugs in the basket! :lol:

Edited by WHX24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Horse Play

Geez, looks like y'all need to sample the good stuff from Kentucky!

• Like 2

mhlmeader
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

it puts the drain plugs in the basket! :lol:

I'm looking for a size 14 drain plug....:angry-tappingfoot:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??

:laughing-rolling: If laughter is the best medicine Bill I'm gonna live to be 100! 

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2