ohiofarmer

motorcycle sidestand took me into the ditch

ohiofarmer

I never run a radio on my bike. However, somehow the radio started hissing and I thought it a mechanical problem.   the bike sidestand was not properly put up and it started hitting the road at speed. It took me into the ditch after three attempts at righting the beast at probably 45 MPH.  67 years old and 45 MPH is not a good thing.

By some miracle, there is no joint damage or broken bones. i am probably carrying about a gallon of swelled up tissue around. The bruises are from bright purple to almost black at this point. Three days in the hospital as all this resulted in my body being low on oil and constant checks on the resulting low blood pressure until all those fluids had a chance to replace themselves.

The pain is tremendous. After the initial aching, which still remains, my skin felt like it was set on fire. Oxy will take that away, but not doing that [only as a last resort]

Once I got home, I immediately tried to reduce the oXY they gave me. I have now at either zero or just one a day. I have found out that the Tylenol dose needs to be on schedule as all those extra fluids will cause fever if not medicated..

But all in all ,I have absolutely no complaints, as I  got off really easy. I can walk and stand, but have difficulty sitting and resting. I am getting a backup lawn mower ready, a c-series auto with 48 inch deck. My other mower is going to maintain another property to be stored there.

things could be so much much worse in the healing process.  i did crash at the first ER as my BP went to 40 on the high side. My wife thought they were losing me. then the took me to a better trauma center and those doctors were amazed ho light the actual injuries were. Landing in wet cut side ditch grass sure beats a gravel road....

• Sad 4
  • Heart 3

Achto

Truly sorry to hear about you accident, I'm glad that it wasn't worse. Keep on the mend.

SylvanLakeWH

Hopes and prayers for a speedy recovery...

19richie66

Wow, could have been a lot worse. As in “not able to tell your own story” worse. Hope you have a speedy recovery and get some rest, when you can. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

I wish you well in your recovery and we’re glad your name isn’t displayed in green around here!  Take care and thanks for the reminder that things can change at any moment!

Stormin

Hope you have a speedy recovery. :thumbs: I keep thinking of getting another bike, but my lot keep telling me I'm to old at nearly 72 and won't bounce like I used to. :rolleyes:

stevasaurus

Lucky!!  If some of the internal bleeding is from cracked ribs...I know of nothing more painful.  Scale of 1 - 10 does not take fractured ribs into account.  14 -18 maybe.  Internal injuries take time and Mother Nature...don't rush Mother Nature.  :eusa-think:

McGrew

Ohio farmer,  Hope you heal up soon!  I too am a biker, and feel your pain.  Good luck!  Danny

ohiofarmer

Thanks

At least I have a little time to assemble the newer house tractor. It's a C141 with a swapped 12 horse engine.  I just work at a slower pace and rest when I need to. After hearing the pleasant sound of that engine. I might see about getting the original engine rebuilt  . I also have a commando 800  nearly ready. Carb.clean the way it acts.

I tried to mow but it hurts to much . My sweet wife finished the job.

• Like 2

tunahead72

Hey @ohiofarmer, I'm really sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm also really glad you're able to tell us about it in your own words.  You and I are about the same age, and I think about some of these same things happening to me as I ride, very sobering.  Take care of yourself, and keep talking to us here, we all enjoy our conversations with you!