ebinmaine

Black fly repellent? What do you use?

ebinmaine

I don't know what regions of the country these murderous little bloodsuckers are in but I know it's at least across the North.

Here in Maine they last for about 2 weeks or so in huge volumes and then the hatch dies off but you see them throughout the rest of the year until Frost.

Just wondering what do you all use to keep these wonderful little creatures away from you and prevent them from swarming around your head or face?

The Tuul Crib

Try a few of these have one by my shop door . We also have bats in a cave across the street that helps as well!

96E43270-6BC3-4F3E-924E-9BEB524E5D52.png

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Those black flies are nasty.  I know when I was stationed in Maine, we used an Avon product called "Skin so soft".  It also works as a mosquito repellent.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

pfrederi

Fortunately the black flies here come and go pretty quick.  The painful ones are the deer flies that come later.  I use a sticky sheet on the back of my hat.  Have caught 15 or more in an hour or so of mowing.

• Like 2

953 nut
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

The painful ones are the deer flies that come later.

Not only painful, but smart too. Where I lived in Florida we had a lot of those little flesh eaters. I was repacking the wheel bearings on my trailer one afternoon, while I was removing them and cleaning them a couple deer flies came around and were just hanging out. Once I had a wad of grease in one hand and a greasy bearing in the other they launched their attack knowing I wouldn't slap them with a bunch of grease in hand. Wiped my hands and they were nowhere to be found.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH
5 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Those black flies are nasty.  I know when I was stationed in Maine, we used an Avon product called "Skin so soft".  It also works as a mosquito repellent.  :occasion-xmas:

Use it as well...

Works on skeeters too.

Added bonus - makes you smell real nice...:D

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2