TC10284

Testing Governor - P220, P218, P216

TC10284

Is there a way to test proper function of the governor after replacing the plastic non-tabbed governor ball spacers in P220, P218, P216 engines, aside from it not over revving after 20-30min? 

Edited by TC10284

520HC

Not really,but I always glue mine to the cam gear and they work fine.

lynnmor

Did you replace it with a tabbed one?  If you replaced it with the same thing, all you can do is set the governed speed and then see if it holds over time.

TC10284
5 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Did you replace it with a tabbed one?  If you replaced it with the same thing, all you can do is set the governed speed and then see if it holds over time.

Yes, a tabbed one is what I used. 

Are you referring to this in regard to setting the speed? 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1223176/Onan-P216.html?page=27

I think I resolved the issues actually. Long story short, I'm experimenting on a 520H (with a P220g that is already burning oil from the rear intake valve seal) with a custom-made ball spacer using exact measurements of the original plastic spacer with extended tab. The one I made, the extended tab was thicker than the original. So I took it apart again this afternoon and ground down with a bench grinder on the extended tab on my custom made replacement and so far the test was good. It's back to 3600RPM. 

That, or I somehow missed the pin that goes in the governor cup the first time I put the replacement ball spacer in. But I saw no evidence of that. 

I'll test it again tomorrow and see how she does. But so far, so good. 

lynnmor
19 hours ago, TC10284 said:

Are you referring to this in regard to setting the speed? 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1223176/Onan-P216.html?page=27

On page 21 of that manual, the high speed stop is shown.  You bend it till the engine runs 3600 RPM maximum.